Following fire hydrant break, water floods Santa Teresa

A broken fire hydrant at the intersection of Lomita Mall and Santa Teresa Street propelled a wave of water into the air early Thursday afternoon. The water then flooded eastward down Santa Teresa, and through Duena Street toward Panama Mall.

Police, Palo Alto Fire Department authorities and Stanford Land, Buildings and Real Estate (LBRE) officials arrived on the scene. According to University spokesperson E.J. Miranda, LBRE shut off the water after about 20 minutes, and subsequently began repairs.

“Approximately 100,000 gallons of water was released before the hydrant was shut off,” Miranda wrote in a statement to The Daily.

This water loss equates to the amount of water a family would use over a 250-day period. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average American family of four uses 400 gallons of water per day.

According to Palo Alto Fire Department Captain Barry Marchisio, a large truck — which was still parked on the scene as authorities addressed the situation— hit the fire hydrant, causing the break.

Marchisio clarified that all the water that flooded from the hydrant was fresh, and that it will drain naturally and without contamination. Miranda confirmed that on-campus water services remained in operation, and that no buildings were damaged as a result of the break.

Meanwhile, a swarm of onlookers gathered near the break to take photos of the erupting water.

This article has been updated twice with comment from E.J. Miranda. 

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccdouglas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Courtney Douglas

Courtney Douglas is a sophomore from Coronado, California studying English Lit, Political Science and Human Rights. Before stepping into the Managing Editor role, Courtney was a news desk editor and a staff writer. She also established the Community Life & Inclusion Program (CLIP) at The Daily. Her favorite person in the world is her younger brother, Collin ('22!). Contact Courtney at ccd4 'at' stanford.edu.