Reid Travis withdraws from NBA Draft, to transfer for 2018-19 season

Senior forward Reid Travis declared his intention on Wednesday afternoon to transfer schools for his final year of eligibility.

The two-time All-Pac-12 First Team forward had declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, but waited until the final day to withdraw to announce he was not entering the draft and instead transferring for his fifth year.

Travis, who played in 98 games for the Cardinal, was granted an additional year after the NCAA accepted Travis’ medical hardship petition, which he filed after missing 22 games in the 2015-16 season.

The 6-foot-8 big man set career highs across the board in his senior season, dropping a career high in points (19.5), three pointers made (18), games played (35) and free throw percentage (67.5 percent).

He was third in the Pac-12 in both scoring and rebounding, and he was the only player in the conference this past season to be in the top-five of both stats in the last two years.

Travis’ name is etched across all the Cardinal record books as he leaves Stanford ranked 16th in career points scored and 10th in career rebounds despite playing hundreds of minutes fewer than the people above him on the list.

In his final year on The Farm, Travis led the team to its best conference record (11-7) since the 2007-08 season, when Stanford went 13-5 under then-head coach Trent Johnson.

Travis joins a contingent of five players who will leave the Cardinal program. Seniors guard Dorian Pickens and Michael Humphrey do not have any years of eligibility remaining.

Senior guard Robert Cartwright announced he was transferring to UC Irvine back on May 1, and junior guard Cameron Walker, who didn’t play last season, will not return due to an NCAA medical disqualification.

The Cardinal will lose three-fifths of its starting lineup from last season and 48.4 percent of its minutes with the seniors leaving for the 2018-19.

Although Stanford didn’t make the NCAA Tournament in Travis’ tenure, he has been one of the best college players in the country, and wherever he transfers, Travis should make an immediate impact as a force in the paint.

Contact Jose Saldana at jsaldana ‘at’ stanford.edu.