Letter to the editor: recall Judge Persky

In 1913, businessman Albert Hendricks was caught trying to assault two 17-year-old girls, but he skipped town after San Francisco Judge Charles Weller reduced his bail from $3000 to $1000. Local women’s clubs led the effort to recall Judge Weller for “extending undue and unreasonable leniency to persons charged with the commission of heinous and vicious offenses.”

Weller’s was the first of only two successful judicial recalls in California’s history. Note that it did not lead to an onslaught of whimsical recalls, and it did not lead to substantial enough concerns about judicial independence for our constitutional right to recall judges to be revoked. It did, however, remove an elected official who had lost the faith of voters that he could fairly preside over sexual assault cases.

In that same vein, I will be voting to recall Judge Persky on June 5. I encourage my neighbors to do the same.

— Prameela Bartholomeusz, Palo Alto

• FE0017

In response to Allard: Judgment Day for Judge Persky:

Bless my lord! Yes, it will be indeed Judgment Day for Persky here in Santa Clara County. King David decided to give a pass to his son after his son raped his own sister, David’s daughter. God was not happy with that. King David was eventually punished by God for this and other outrageous transgressions. God does not give a pass to crooks with no remorse! For this, On June 5, 2018 it will be judgment day for Persky and all Santa Clara County corrupted judges. Even God will not consider leniency for those engaging in the sins of the flesh as compare to someone shoplifting or having other traffic or non-violence drug violation. GOD IS NOT STUPID; SANTA CLARA COUNTY VOTERS ARE NOT STUPID EITHER!

IN GOD WE TRUST TO PROTECT WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN OUR COMMUNITY FROM RAPISTS! God has given wisdom to this community!
    VOTE YES TO RECALL judge Aaron Persky!
    Enough is Enough!

• FE0017

The Mercury News:
    “Judge reinstates bail in ex-49er Dana Stubblefield’s rape case”
    This is a must read article since it shows the change in thinking Santa Clara County Voters expect from judges dealing with cases of sexual and domestic violence!
    NO LINIENCY FOR PRIVILEGED RAPISTS, DOMESTIC ABUSERS, AND PEDOPHILES!
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
    PERSKY MUST GO!

• John Shapiro

Could the Stanford Daily be more obvious about it’s bias? The link to this letter identifies the author as “a Palo Alto resident” – when in fact, Prameela Bartholomeusz is one of the top members of the Recall Persky committee – surely the Daily knows this, but does not identify her as such.

Full Disclosure is considered good journalism – the Daily is no longer a journalistic entity -it’s an advocacy organization – it really should make that clear, but of course if it did, the advocacy might be less effective.

Besides hiding Bartholomeusz’ agenda, would the Daily normally run a political opinion piece not written by a member of the Stanford community, about a subject which is not inherently part of campus life?

Most likely Professor Michele Dauber got one of her acolytes to run this – at this point the Daily ought to be open about the process – who made the decision and what did Michele say to them first?