Op-ed: Your vote is needed this June

Dear fellow classmates,

Remember Brock Turner? Though his case began over two years ago, I still remember Emily Doe’s harrowing account of the assault, juxtaposed with Brock Turner’s sentence of only six months.

Six months for sexually assaulting a woman.

Let me draw your attention to the judge who ordered this sentence: Judge Aaron Persky. By law, Turner was subject to a statutory guideline minimum of two years and a maximum of 14 years in prison and should not have been eligible for probation. However, Judge Persky made an exception for Turner, sentencing him to just six months in a county jail under the reasoning that a longer sentence would have a “severe impact” on Turner. Persky fails to realize it’s his astonishingly short sentence that has the true “severe impact,” by communicating to other sex offenders that they will not be held accountable for their actions. Because of his sentence, victims of sexual assault could be less inclined to report these crimes for fear that justice will not be served. That is unacceptable. Turner ended up only serving three months before being released. Prosecutors asked that Turner be sentenced to six years: that’s 12 times longer than the sentence Persky gave to Turner and 24 times longer than how long Turner was actually in jail.

This isn’t the first time Persky has demonstrated leniency towards privileged individuals convicted of sex crimes or violence against women. In 2015, Judge Persky sentenced Robert Chain, a white man convicted of felony for child pornography, to only four days in jail. This was not a plea bargain with the district attorney, but rather it was an offer made by Judge Persky himself. Persky also said he would be “receptive” to reducing Chain’s felony conviction to a misdemeanor after only one year of probation – against the recommendation of the probation report. Every other judge in Santa Clara County has sentenced defendants of the same crime to six months. As citizens, we need consistency in our judicial system, and Persky fails to provide this.

Judge Persky is a former Stanford athlete and was captain of the Stanford Lacrosse Team. As a Stanford student, I’m not proud to have Persky or Brock Turner associated with the University. I doubt that many people are. However, there’s no use sitting around feeling ashamed. Brock Turner’s out of jail, and his case is over. We cannot change the fact that Turner did not serve even close to what he deserved. But what about the next time this happens? Are we going to let Judge Persky excuse another sex offender? We cannot afford to sit around when there is someone in power who cannot deliver justice, especially when it’s their job to do so. We need judges who will acknowledge that violence against women is a serious issue and take concrete steps to prevent it from happening. The time is up for judges like Persky.

The Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors placed the recall of Judge Persky on the June 5th ballot. Some have argued that removing Persky would be a threat to judicial independence by pressuring judges to issue harsher sentences, potentially hurting the poor and people of color. However, this idea of maintaining judicial independence rests on the belief that a judge can rule impartially. Persky has proven through his history of leniency to college athletes and other privileged males that this impartiality does not exist. This isn’t the judicial independence we seek to preserve. We don’t seek to recall Persky for harsher sentences. We seek to recall Persky because of his historically consistent bias in favor of privileged men like Brock Turner and Robert Chain.

Students have the right under the law to register to vote in Santa Clara County and to vote out Judge Persky. You can vote in either your home state or here (but not both). Changing your registration takes less than a minute, and you can do it online here. I urge you to exercise your right to vote in Santa Clara County in the Judge Persky recall election this June. Enough is enough — we must recall Persky now.

Kasey Luo ’21

• mackthemack

Mr. Turner’s sentence was completely within judicial discretion and more than the recommendation by the probation department. It was NOT an exception.

If the mob gets to punish a judge for a legal sentence it does not like, we have lost all order. God help us all.

• FE0017

The Persky Recall is about judicial equality for all not only privileged males. Good and bad apples coexist in all institutions. I am confident Stanford Students will show those Stanford Professors who voted against the recall what judicial independence looks like, Stanford Students’ Independent Thinking!
    On June 5, 2018 VOTE YES to Recall judge Persky and the Santa Clara County White Justice!
    BECOME A FRIEND OF YOUR COMMUNITY AND AN ENEMY OF CORRUPTED INSTITUTIONS; Enough is Enough!

• FE0017

If the function of a judge is just to apply the probation department recommendations, why do we need judges? Dear God please help us get rid of this abusive White justice that has caused significant harm to members of our community.

• mackthemack

That is the EXACT opposite of what I said. The judge evaluated and, with his knowledge and experience, judged the case as he saw appropriate, within the law and in the interest of justice (which includes fairness to the victim, the perpetrator and the People). I mentioned the probation department recommendation only to point out that the sentence was not (even close) to exceptionally lenient.

Great reading comprehension, that. And when has this become a race issue? I thought the recall was initiated by Prof. Dauber for being a friend of E. Doe (white), being (personally) dissatisfied with the verdict against the defendant (white) and whipping the villagers into a frenzy.

• FE0017

Persky did not take the Jury’s, prosecutor’s, and other’s considerations. He appeared to have made such outrageous decision based on mitigating factors that even his top “cheerleader” LaDoris Cordell defined as “code for White privilege.” Other former judges have also shared their views that contradict with Persky’s decision. ‘justice for …the victim? Says who A$$? Do you know Emily Doe? or you are just assuming Mrs. Dauber’s friends are all White. However, Emely Doe belongs to the most oppressed group in the history of the world, FEMALE! But Persky has history of being lenient to White males and privileged males. He belongs to these two groups. He shared different factors with Turner. Even the legal community knows this about Persky. Not all judges or lawyers are against the recall. I know at least one local law firm attorneys that told me, they could not wait to see his name on the ballot. Here you go friends! It is not the same to break into your home to steal your mother’s purse than to break into your home to sexually assault or rape your mother. If you do not understand this difference, you are just a lost cause!

• skeptical1776

FE0017 would be perfectly OK with a black male raping a white woman – that would be “social justice” to him.

• skeptical1776

Stop the false rape hoaxers – the Tawana Brawley’s, the Crystal Gail Mangum’s, the Emma Sulkowicz’s, the Jackie Coakley and the many other thousands of lying sluts.

Judicial equality for all, not just for entitled, cheap ho’s.

• FE0017

O.J. and Michael Jackson are just other examples of privilege and money buying justice. I am not in favor of any person male or female raping children or unconscious persons and getting three months in jail! PERSKY MUST GO!

• FE0017

Wow! Someone’s feelings are hurt:( Poor you…cry baby!

• skeptical1776

You are the progeny of prostitutes and pedophiles. Take your filth out of here.

• FE0017

Nope, more a progeny of Apache, and European, and other. God gave me a decent man for a father. One that taught me to only fear and respect god, and that God’s business is protecting the oppressed. God is my beginning and my end. You are a big LOSER!
    I did the same thing your mother, if you have one, did to have you. Thus, your mother is also that you are calling me!
    Cry baby!

• skeptical1776

Um, so your father is not only a pedophile but also an alcoholic parasite. As for your pimping your mom for drug money, you didn’t have to confess, it was obvious from your pathological behavior.

You are a worthless racist idiot pontificating on forums instead of treating your many diseases. Hopefully your despicable father will also face justice for what he did! For your mom it is too late, she will die of the syphilis she got while servicing her “customers”.

• M. Garcia

FE0070, you seems to be a truly sick puppy, with your pathological, creepy fantasies of mothers being raped and such.

Get treatment, you suck, literally!

• M. Garcia

You are not a godly creature. You drip with venom and racism. As a Hispanic woman, I am disgusted by activists like you. You make even a proven rapist like Bill Clinton look good.

Also, “Thus, your mother is also that you are calling me! ” – what language are you using here? You sound like a retarded moron unable to round up one correct sentence.

• FE0017

My father worked 70 out of his 90 years. My mother has never smoked anything at all. I have never had an alcoholic drink in my whole life or used any type of drug. I was a virgin when I become married, only one sexual partner in my life. As you can see, you are making assumptions. Your are the first who started to call women sluts in this blog, and other decided to delete their messages after insulting Mrs. Dauber. This is the typical behavior of bullies. They bully until they find someone that is not hurt by their evil ways. Then they feel victims. By your post, though, I can tell you are a male that hates women. This type of males always insult women with the worst names such as sluts, prostitutes, and so on. I provide services to those who use them and abuse them; non-judgmental. Most women I know who have engaged in prostitution have a trauma history and prostitution is not their choice. I graduated with top honors and have and will engage in life-long learning. Knowledge is the only addiction I have. Your are projecting all you are. I am used to individuals like you. I know your weakness and your poor human kindness. Cry baby!

• FE0017

Wow Garcia! I did not know you were part of this conversation. To my understanding, only mackthemack, skeptical, and the person, a woman, who deleted her post were here. I did not know a Garcia was here. Thank you for at least providing your last name here. It is quite interesting that people started to insult women calling them sluts, prostitutes, and so on and no one felt insulted. It also appears a woman who uses the same language evil men use are the worst creatures in this earth even worst than males, Bill Clinton…, that had engaged in sexually harassing women. This is exactly the oppression women face. Males can rape and commit any type of crime and they are still seen by society as decent enough to be president. But, a woman has to be flawless, otherwise she is a slut, prostitute, and so on. I do not think I am godly. I known only God is worth of respect since all human kind including myself are capable of evil if given the circumstances. I am disgusted of gente babosa como tu! I bet you believe I am a slut and Brock Turner, a “kid” who had “20 minutes of action.”

• FE0017

These are other corrupted judges: Supervising judge Julia A. Emede, Commissioner Irwin Joseph, Phillip Pennypacker, Joseph Huber, attorneys and other court people, Stephen Penn, Lori Penn. I have posted their unethical and “legal” behavior online. These are the people who have engaged in protecting pedophiles, domestic abusers…They know me by face and name. I hope this was a fantasy, but it is not. I sent information about these people, local police departments, to Gov. Brown’s Office. Individuals sent their judicial corruption stories to Sacramento, this is why the first ever California State Audit. Mrs. Dauber may be after one corrupted judge, Persky; I am after all corruption in the Santa Clara County Judiciary.
    I know these judges’ abuse of their judicial discretion. If what I say is a lie, they all had already filed a suit for libel against me. They all know me by face and name; they know where I live. I even spent one Christmas event with judge Emede. Thinking someone is crazy is easier than accepting the horrors some people in our community experience.

• FE0017

The Apache was a lie, I knew you are a racist and women hater. I tried the Apache and all of your hate for the Native people of this country came to the light. I bet you believe all Muslim are terrorists, and all Mexican males rapists, and that immigrants should go back to their land. Since the Native people are the only non-immigrants, you found other ways to insult them. As you can see, since the beginning of your posts, you have been displaying your hate for women, racist condition, and other tendencies. Then you want to believe I am a slut and a prostitute to justify your behavior. You also want to believe, I am in urgent need of psychological treatment. Your post demonstrates your condition. You responded in the way I predicted!

• FE0017

Thus, “Garcia” you feltl insulted by me saying “your mother is the names you are calling me” since this is outrageous language to use, but then it is proper for you to call someone a “sick puppy?” WHAT A RATIONAL! You cannot tell others do as I say not as I do! The treatment option is more likely for you too!

• FE0017

In addition to Clinton, you should also include Trump, Bush Senior, and all of the above left and right politicians and public officials including judges that have engaged in sexual harassment and/or scandals!

• M. Garcia

You explain yourself too much and are an admitted liar.

It is clear that Skeptical’s portrait of you is correct to a “t”.

Get lost.

• FE0017

Wow! So much for someone who calls others “retarded moron” and knows how to “round up” one correct sentence. I knew you lack neuronal potential and are the typical person that points the finger at others not being aware of the four fingers pointing back at you “Garcia”? Get lost? No one forced you to be part of this discussion. If the oven is too hot for you, do not attempt to cook on it. I am shocked you were quick to criticize my language, yet you keep defending a person who insulted the Native people of this country and called women sluts and prostitutes. This indicates you both belong to the same club of women haters. This, if skeptical and “Garcia” are not the same person. The language and thinking point to the same odd mind.

• M. Garcia

You are an impotent prick.

And boring to boot.

Get lost before even more mentally insane members of your family commit suicide, shamed by your existence.

• FE0017

Look who is talking! It feels good to insult others but not receiving the same back! Right? You are a big bully and loser!

• M. Garcia

I don’t care about your silly insults.

Obviously the posters who mentioned the history of insanity, alcoholism and pedophilia in your family knew a lot about you.

Those are not insults, they are FACTS.

• FE0017

Whatever you want to believe that is what it will be in your mind. Your ability to put together conflicting information to your fixed thinking is nonexistent. Interesting skeptical stopped posting, but “Garcia” came to his rescue!

• FE0017

Acting as a impotent prick and boring boot is all it takes to keep you involved “Garcia.”

• M. Garcia

On top of being a disgusting prick you are also paranoid – it’s a conspiracy to get you!

Perhaps Skeptical had enough fun with you, wiping the floors with you like the dirty racist rag you are.

• FE0017

Am I the racist? He is the one that said all Natives are alcoholics this and that. He called women sluts, prostitutes…You are not Garcia you are skeptical. You just could not face the insults back as you, so you created someone else to support your own words and behavior. You also appear to enjoy my ways since you are the only fool replying. Stop projecting; accept your condition. Cry baby!

• Music Music

I’ve just read this insane discussion. WHY?

FE0017, you are one of the most disgusting human beings, if you ARE human, who ever existed.

Your sick proclivities would make a hyena blush.

Go to a doctor!

• M. Garcia

Shhh . . . . the crazy alcoholic and pedophile will believe you are “created” by Skeptical, too.

FE0017, one of the most laughable racist human latrines ever to breathe on this generous Earth.

• M. Garcia

FE0017 confesses: “These are the people who have engaged in protecting pedophiles, domestic abusers…They know me by face and name.”

Hopefully the authorities are reading this confession.

FE-CES0017 just confessed to outrageous, illegal behavior.

• FE0017

I am going to tell you exactly to whom you should provide this information: Gilroy Police Department, they also protected this pedophile, Morgan Hill Police took over case after situation was reported to former mayor, Julia A Emede. She is a supervising judge friend of Persky and other judges. She is also one of the voices against the recall. This pedophile worked directly for her; she adored him. When this pedophile was being investigated for the child porn, he asked Emede for help to keep his job as a local law enforcement. His current IRS and other crimes are being investigated by a local DA and other local police department, not Gilroy Police Department. This information with more details has been on other media outlets. I even contacted congress on this case. These are the usual experiences Santa Clara County residents face in a regular basis. I am going to write a book about this case with names and pictures of all involved. This case is not over yet. The victims of this corruption and crime also need to be in a safe place physically and emotionally. I posted the same information with more details on the Murkury Newx. Informed the authorities. Dave Cortese, Cindy, Chavez, and others are also aware of this case. Most people ignored the case, until they could not. A ripoff report was written about Dave Cortese in this case since he also ignored the reporting. I shamed Irwin Joseph who was the worst, until he decided to retired. Again, do your online research. Emily Doe case is not the only shocking case; it is actually the norm in the settlement system of the Santa Clara County judiciary. Tell them. My involvement in this case is not done. I am fighting this whatever it takes. I do not fear police, judges, or anyone. I rather die fighting this injustice than living tolerating it or pretending is not there. ENOUGH!

• FE0017

Your double morality is outrageous. You point the finger at others for using the language you use. You defend racists while accusing others of being one. No logic result from your insults only the confirmation of being what you are accusing others to do. Maria, skeptical, and music members of the same brainless and senseless club, more likely, the same person!

• FE0017

I am glad you find this confession outrageous; I have thought this to be outrageous since Nov. 10 2011 when I found out this person was watching child porn. My next court hearing in this case is in about two months. Gov. Brown Office knows about this case too. I contacted him different times asking him to do something about this judges’ and judiciary system corruption. Many women and children live outrageous experiences due to this White Justice Judiciary System. Have you read about the Alicia Mesiti Case? This is another outrageous case in the Santa Clara County. I am going to fight this alone or supporting causes aimed to create this change. On June 5, 2018, VOTE YES to recall judge Persky and the SANTA CLARA COUNTY WHITE JUSTICE.
    Protect women and children: VOTE YES!

• M. Garcia

Go away, dirty pedophile.

• FE0017

I thought you were going to report me to those I am shaming with the information I provided. Google Dave Cortese and ripoff report. You would see information is already there and in other outlets including pictures of them. All this corruption story is there. I contacted media in 2013 when I wanted to make the details of this case public. No one called back due to these judges’ power. For this the book. You will see who they are and you will also see my face. This is how I am going to honor the memories of their professional jobs!
    CRY BABY!

• M. Garcia

Wasted enough time with an impotent, mindless son of a prostitute.

Hasta la vista.

• FE0017

You got it all wrong “Garcia!” I talk like a guy, hit like a guy, feel like a woman, love pink; I am a FEMINIST!
    Shalom,
    FE0017

• FE0017

Yo perdi mi tiempo con una BABOSA! “Hispanic Woman” Masco chile, pego duro, y puedo tener viejos de a monton si me da la regalada gana. I have more fun spending time with a book though!