The 2018 Undergraduate Senate Elections: A Primer

Every year, Stanford undergraduate and graduate students are invited to vote on who will make up the legislative and executive branches of the Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU) government in the next academic year.

All registered students who were enrolled in Stanford during winter quarter of that year are eligible to vote for senators (for undergraduates) and council members (for graduate students) as well as a president/vice president slate. The elected representatives speak on behalf of students in dialogue with University administrators, vote on ASSU bills and push forward ASSU initiatives.

In this year’s Undergraduate Senate race, there are 22 candidates running for 15 seats. Voters will receive their ballots via email through an individualized link, and will have two days to place their votes. This year, the ballot opens on April 11 at 12:00 a.m. and closes on April 12 at 11:59 p.m.

Preliminary election results will be announced on April 14 on the ASSU Elections Commission’s website.

[ubergrid id=1138950]

This report will be updated as the election proceeds.

An earlier version of this article said that the voting period will last one day rather than two. The Daily regrets this error.

Felicia Hou, Jacob Nierenberg, Jordan Payne, Melissa Santos, Andrea Villa and Michael Whittaker contributed to this report. Graphics by Josh Wagner.

Contact Brian Contreras at brianc42 ‘at’ stanford.edu and Yasmin Samrai at ysamrai ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Brian Contreras was the Daily's Investigations Editor during the '19-'20 school year. Before that, he was a Managing Editor of the news section. A graduate of Stanford's class of 2020, he studied Science, Technology, and Society with a minor in Anthropology. Brian hails from Washington, DC and is pursuing a career in tech journalism. Contact him at briancontreras42 'at' gmail.com.