The 2018 Undergraduate Senate Elections: A Primer

Every year, Stanford undergraduate and graduate students are invited to vote on who will make up the legislative and executive branches of the Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU) government in the next academic year.

All registered students who were enrolled in Stanford during winter quarter of that year are eligible to vote for senators (for undergraduates) and council members (for graduate students) as well as a president/vice president slate. The elected representatives speak on behalf of students in dialogue with University administrators, vote on ASSU bills and push forward ASSU initiatives.

In this year’s Undergraduate Senate race, there are 22 candidates running for 15 seats. Voters will receive their ballots via email through an individualized link, and will have two days to place their votes. This year, the ballot opens on April 11 at 12:00 a.m. and closes on April 12 at 11:59 p.m.

Preliminary election results will be announced on April 14 on the ASSU Elections Commission’s website.

Policies
Endorsements
Candidates

This report will be updated as the election proceeds.

An earlier version of this article said that the voting period will last one day rather than two. The Daily regrets this error.

Felicia Hou, Jacob Nierenberg, Jordan Payne, Melissa Santos, Andrea Villa and Michael Whittaker contributed to this report. Graphics by Josh Wagner.

Contact Brian Contreras at brianc42 ‘at’ stanford.edu and Yasmin Samrai at ysamrai ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Brian Contreras

Brian Contreras '20 is the Desk Editor for Student Groups. A sophomore studying STS and Anthropology, he hails from Washington, DC and hopes to pursue a career in tech or policy journalism. He is also interested in satire, backpacking, sci-fi, running, and using Oxford commas (no matter what AP Style says). Contact him at brianc42 'at' stanford.edu.

About Yasmin Samrai

Yasmin Samrai ’21 is a Deputy Desk Editor for Student Groups. She hails from London, UK, and is interested in English Literature and International Relations. She loves travel, 80s music and Earl Grey tea. Feel free to ask her about her favourite James Bond, test out her Southern accent or talk politics. Contact her at ysamrai ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Josh Wagner

Josh Wagner is a sophomore with vague inklings of majoring in something humanities. He enjoys verbalizing people's actions back at them and narrating his own wanderings from East Campus to CoHo.