Richmond resident arrested in connection with Los Altos sexual assault at gunpoint
The site of the assault. (COURTNEY DOUGLAS/The Stanford Daily)

Palo Alto police have arrested 29-year-old Richmond, California resident Eduardo Antonio Chavarria-Diaz in connection with the armed sexual assault of a teenage jogger two weeks ago, according to a Monday evening press release from the Palo Alto Police Department (PAPD).  

The authorities obtained an arrest warrant for the suspect in the Los Altos incident on Saturday. On Sunday around 11 a.m., members of the PAPD and East Bay Regional Park District Police Department investigators arrested the suspected assaulter “without incident” at a house in Richmond.

Chavarria-Diaz has been charged with three felonies — assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping and sexual penetration by force — as a result of the Mar. 28 crime, according to Palo Alto police.

On March 28, Chavarria-Diaz allegedly sexually assaulted a female juvenile jogger at the intersection of Arastradero Road and Deer Creek Road. Police said the suspect, who was hidden in the greenbelt near the sidewalk, pulled the jogger off the path and assaulted her at gunpoint.

Following the incident, the teen was hospitalized but in stable condition.

Over the course of this investigation, police have connected Chavarria-Diaz to a March 4 assault in Oakland, which involved case facts similar to those in the the Los Altos assault.

Investigators are currently working to determine whether Chavarria-Diaz may be connected to additional, unsolved crimes.

Contact Claire Wang at clwang32 ‘at’ stanford.edu and Courtney Douglas at ccd4 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Courtney Douglas

Courtney Douglas is a sophomore from Coronado, California studying English Lit, Political Science and Human Rights. Before stepping into the Managing Editor role, Courtney was a news desk editor and a staff writer. She also established the Community Life & Inclusion Program (CLIP) at The Daily. Her favorite person in the world is her younger brother, Collin ('22!). Contact Courtney at ccd4 'at' stanford.edu.

About Claire Wang

Claire Wang is a sophomore from Detroit, Michigan studying Economics and Political Science. She's a fan of anything with tomatoes in it, and her favorite poet is Ocean Vuong. When she's not biking, her second-favorite mode of transportation is by rollerblade. Contact Claire at clwang32 'at' stanford.edu.