University admission rate drops to 4.3 percent for Class of 2022
(HANNAH RONCA/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford announced on Friday the admission of 1,290 students to the Class of 2022. These students, joined by the 750 who were accepted under the restrictive early action program in December, make up a total of 2,040 total students admitted to the incoming class. At 4.3 percent, this year’s admission rate is the lowest in Stanford’s history, down from 4.65 percent last year.

The University received a total of 47,450 applications, topping last year’s number by over 3,000 applications as the largest in the school’s history.

“The incredible strength of the students applying to Stanford is simply awesome, and all candidates who applied will have wonderful choices in higher education,” said Richard Shaw, dean of admission and financial aid, in an interview with Stanford News.

This year’s proportion of accepted students who are the first in their families to attend a four-year college is up from last year as well, at 18.3 percent. Admits to the incoming class come from all 50 states, as well as Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. International students from 63 countries represent 11.4 percent of the admitted class.

65 percent of admits expressed a primary interest in Humanities and Sciences Programs, while 30 percent leaned toward Engineering. 3.5 percent were interested in Earth, Energy, and Environmental Sciences, with the rest remaining undecided.

All admits will have until May 1 to accept the University’s offer.

Contact Claire Wang at clwang32 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Claire Wang

Claire Wang is a sophomore from Detroit, Michigan studying Economics and Political Science. She's a fan of anything with tomatoes in it, and her favorite poet is Ocean Vuong. When she's not biking, her second-favorite mode of transportation is by rollerblade. Contact Claire at clwang32 'at' stanford.edu.
  • Rich C

how many early action applicants this year and last year?

• Richard

Yes! #Stanford2022 here I come. Congratulations to everyone.

• itsallabouttheg

Why not just say there was a record number of applications? Roughly the same number of students were accepted.

• marcus

Stanford admissions won’t release the stats anymore… typically it’s been in the 35% range and despite this Stanford has a very high yield compared to peers that admit half their class EA to goose yields.

Stanford admissions is attempting to de-escalate the pissing contest on who is the most selective university…. which is frankly stupid. spoiler alert – Stanford is the most selective.

• Rich C

@marcus I know that!! But what happened to investigative journalism? That’s why I was asking in this forum 🙂 No leaks, moles or inside sources? It’s scary to think that admissions offices are less leaky than our government.

• DK

The above acceptance rate is derived from how many people apply to the college… which is not an accurate measure of selectivity. There are more students that apply to Stanford than to some of the top Ivy Leagues for example … reasons could be anywhere from California bring a densely populated state – to more students thinking they have a better chance of being admitted to Stanford – among other factors. If the number of spots are the same in school A and school B but the number of applications school A gets is more than school B … it doesn’t make school A more selective. School B could get fewer but high quality applications given that only the students that think they have a good chance of being admitted will actually apply.

• Dk

UCLA receives more applications than UCBerkley. Does it mean UCLA is more selective?

• Puma_01

Actually, the population density of the Northeast is more than 8 times that of the West. And the idea that anyone is applying to Stanford as a safety school is a joke.

But you are right that admission rate alone doesn’t confirm selectivity. That’s why yield is also important. And Stanford’s has been skyrocketing. Despite increasing its class sizes in recent years, the number of Stanford admits has dropped from 2352 for the Class of ’16 down to 2040 for the Class of ’22. Stanford is getting its pick.

• John C

Californians are increasingly applying to schools in their own state and staying in schools in their home state (>85%). In comparison, only half of New Yorkers stay in their own state, and only about 40% of Massachusetts residents stay in their home state. 8 out of 10 schools that get the largest number of applications are located in California. This explains why Stanford gets more applications than East Coast schools; in fact, more than half the applicants are California residents. It also explains why the yield is high, because the admitted Californians stay in California. Thus the low acceptance rate and high yield do not necessarily translate into quality. UCLA has a lower acceptance rate than Berkeley (Berkeley has twice as many National Merit Scholars), and Columbia has a lower acceptance rate than Yale or Princeton, which are much more competitive to get into. In case of Stanford, I’m not sure if the yield means increased competitiveness, either. It could just be a local phenomenon linked to demographics.

If you look at the geographical distribution of the student body at Stanford, it is essentially a regional school. Other top schools like the Ivies, Chicago, Duke, etc. all have a much broader geographical distribution. These other schools draw from both coasts, the South, and the Midwest.