Former Stanford football player detained after posting threatening photo
Jonathan Martin ’12 was detained by Los Angeles police authorities after posting a photo on his Instagram story that appeared to threaten his high school alma mater, Harvard-Westlake. Both Harvard-Westlake campuses cancelled classes on Friday. (Rob Ericson/Stanford Athletics)

Police took former National Football League (NFL) and Stanford football player Jonathan Martin ’12 into custody on Friday following an Instagram story update that appeared to threaten his high school alma mater, Harvard-Westlake, an independent preparatory school in Los Angeles. The post referred to Martin’s experience as a victim of bullying.

In what they called an “abundance of caution,” Harvard-Westlake officials decided to cancel the school day for both its Studio City and Beverly Crest campuses on Friday.   

On Thursday evening, Martin posted a photo of a shotgun on his verified Instagram account’s story. In the post he included the caption, “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.” He also placed the hashtag #HarvardWestlake on top of the rifle in the photo. 

A 144-page report released to the NFL in 2014 concluded that Martin was subjected to “a pattern of harassment” by Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey, three of his Miami Dolphins teammates. The report found that Martin was “ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments” and “taunted with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and mother.”

In the post, Martin tagged Incognito and Pouncey, as well as James Dunleavy, a former Harvard-Westlake classmate who played basketball for USC.

This incident occurred in the wake of the Feb. 14 shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida that left 17 dead.

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccd4 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Courtney Douglas

Courtney Douglas is a sophomore from Coronado, California studying English Lit, Political Science and Human Rights. Before stepping into the Managing Editor role, Courtney was a news desk editor and a staff writer. She also established the Community Life & Inclusion Program (CLIP) at The Daily. Her favorite person in the world is her younger brother, Collin ('22!). Contact Courtney at ccd4 'at' stanford.edu.
  • GSB Aluminator

Seriously? What were you thinking? No, seriously, what were you thinking?

• Just Wondering

I’m glad that there was a quick response of some kind and I hope he can find the mental health resources he needs before any harm to himself or others happens. But I can’t help but wonder if they would have been so quick to arrest him if he was White.

• Masaru Oka

better this than him just “taking matters into his own hands” though. he’s a stanford grad, he probably had a very good idea what would happen and did it on purpose