Women’s volleyball heads to Oregon for two-game road trip

Going for its seventh straight win, No. 2 Stanford women’s volleyball (11-2, 4-0 Pac-12) will travel to Oregon to take on Pac-12 opponents No. 16 Oregon (9-3, 2-2) and Oregon State (10-6, 0-4).

On Friday, the Cardinal beat the Arizona Wildcats (7-6, 1-3) at home in straight sets. Sophomore setter Jenna Gray, who leads the Pac-12 Conference in assists per set, dominated throughout the match, racking up 35 helpers while delivering a career-best eight blocks. Gray is one of a number of talented sophomores on the team. Sophomores outside hitter Kathryn Plummer and middle blocker Audriana Fitzmorris paced the Cardinal offense with 12 and nine kills, respectively. Fitzmorris was also part of a strong duo with fellow middle blocker, junior Tami Alade. The two combined for 12 of Stanford’s 14 blocks in the match. The Wildcats would manage only one block in the game.

Holding a 17-7 lead in the third set, Stanford closed out the match with a powerful eight straight points behind serving by freshman defensive specialist Kate Formico. The seven points were the lowest set total by any Cardinal opponent this season. Of Stanford’s 11 victories this year, 10 have been in straight sets. Only No. 3 Penn State and No. 25 Colorado have won sets against the Cardinal.

With both the offense and defense clicking, Stanford begins October play with a ton of Pac-12 Conference competition ahead. All remaining regular season matches – 16 in total – will be against conference opponents. The Cardinal currently sit in first place in the Pac-12 with an undefeated conference record.

Friday’s match against Oregon will begin at 8 p.m. and will be streamed live on ESPNU. Stanford will play Oregon State on Sunday at 1 p.m., with live streaming on Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Laura Anderson at lauraand ‘at’ stanford.edu.