By the numbers: Stanford vs. Arizona State

The Cardinal defeated the Arizona State Sun Devils 34-24 Saturday at Stanford Stadium behind a monster game from junior running back Bryce Love. Here are a few significant stats from the game and the season so far. Note: Given the absurd numbers Love put up Saturday, as well as the entire season, the majority of these statistics will be related to Love, so if you’re tired of hearing about how ridiculously impressive Love has been through his first five games, you may want to stop reading here.

301: Rushing yards from Love on Saturday, breaking the single-game Stanford record of 284 yards previously set by Christian McCaffrey against Cal last season.

1088: Rushing yards from Love on the season, leading the next best rusher in the FBS by 265 yards, with San Diego State running back Rashaad Penny checking at number two with 823 yards on the ground. Only three FBS players have ever racked up more yards in their team’s first five games.

7: Consecutive games in which Love has had a run of 50 yards or more. He ran 61 yards for a score on his second carry Saturday and took it to the house for 59 yards later in the game. He is the only college football player in the last 20 years to have such a streak.

2835: Number of rushing yards Love is on pace for this season. While it is difficult to imagine him keeping up this blistering pace, that number would break Barry Sanders’ FBS record of 2628 yards.

19: Consecutive games junior wide receiver Trenton Irwin has had a reception. He had three catches for 23 yards Saturday.

4: Interceptions for junior safety Justin Reid this season. He picked off Arizona State quarterback Manny Wilkins, who had zero interceptions going into the game, twice Saturday, and is now tied for third most in the FBS.

33: Consecutive kicks made by sophomore kicker Jet Toner. Toner is 24-24 on PATs and 9-9 on field goals this season and is one of just seven kickers in the FBS with a perfect record this season.

501: Total yards for the Stanford offense Saturday, the third time they’ve gained over 500 yards as a team this season.

39.0: Number of points Stanford is scoring per game. The Cardinal have been held under 30 points only twice this season against USC (24) and San Diego State (17). They rank 24th in the scoring department and fifth in the Pac-12. Oregon has the nation’s highest scoring team at 49.6 points per game.

Contact Sam Curry at currys ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sam Curry '20 is a sophomore desk editor for The Daily. Most of the time, people can find him cheering for all of the teams they probably hate, like the New England Patriots and the New York Yankees. Sam is a proud native of Big Timber, Montana, where he enjoys the great outdoors with his family and friends.