By the numbers: Stanford vs. San Diego State

Sept. 18, 2017, 11:17 a.m.

The Cardinal were upset by the San Diego State Aztecs 20-17 last Saturday. Here are some notable statistics from the game and season:

72: Passing yards from senior quarterback Keller Chryst on Saturday, his third-lowest output as a starter. Chryst’s bad day did not end with that figure as he only completed nine of 20 passes and threw two interceptions. He was also sacked four times and lost a fumble.

187: Passing yards from San Diego State quarterback Christian Chapman Saturday, the fourth-highest total of his career against FBS opponents. Arizona State’s mediocre pass defense held him to 73 yards the week before.

22: Minutes the game was delayed due to the lights going out in SDCCU Stadium. The Cardinal were up 17-13 with less than four minutes to go at the time of the delay. Stanford head coach David Shaw did not seem to think the delay affected Stanford, “If anything, San Diego State had the momentum,” he said. “They’d just gotten an explosive play.”

3: Number of times the Cardinal have lost back-to-back games under David Shaw.

184: Rushing yards from Bryce Love on only 13 carries for an average of 14.3 yards per rush. The list of impressive stats for Love goes on and on. Saturday marked his fifth-straight start with at least 100 yards on the ground. He’s averaging 15 yards per carry on first downs this season. Love even has a rush of 50 yards or more in five straight games, not to mention he is now 2nd in the nation in rushing yards.

17: Consecutive kicks Jet Toner has made to start his career. The sophomore is 13-for-13 on extra points and four-for-four on field goals with his longest being from 40 yards.

6: Number of players to record a sack for the Cardinal Saturday. Six sacks is the Stanford defense’s highest total since recording six against Arizona last season.

41:13: San Diego State’s time of possession. Perhaps the most shocking and telling stat of the game, it shows just how much the Aztecs controlled the ball and beat the Cardinal at their own game. Stanford has always prided itself on controlling the ball and wearing down opponents on the ground, but Rashaad Penny, who had 175 yards on a career-high 32 carries, and the Aztecs turned the tables on the Cardinal to grind out the upset.

Contact Sam Curry at currys ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sam Curry '20 is a sophomore desk editor for The Daily. Most of the time, people can find him cheering for all of the teams they probably hate, like the New England Patriots and the New York Yankees. Sam is a proud native of Big Timber, Montana, where he enjoys the great outdoors with his family and friends.