Stanford denounces Trump administration’s decision to end DACA program as ‘shameful’

In a statement released Tuesday morning, Stanford denounced the Trump administration’s “shameful” decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which has protected about 800,000 young adult undocumented immigrants from deportation to date.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Tuesday announced plans to end DACA, with a six-month delay, giving Congress the opportunity to act on the issue. The DACA program, which former president Barack Obama created in 2012 with an executive order, allowed so-called “DREAMers” who came to the U.S. illegally as children to live and work in the country for two-year periods subject to renewal.

“I do not favor punishing children, most of whom are now adults, for the actions of their parents,” President Donald Trump said in a statement explaining the White House’s decision. “But we must also recognize that we are a nation of opportunity because we are a nation of laws.”

Stanford said that it “vigorously and adamantly opposes” the change.

“This announcement before Congress can enact a permanent legislative solution will bring further profound disruption and uncertainty to those who have met DACA’s strict requirements and are fully a part of American communities,” Stanford’s statement reads.

University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne wrote a letter to Trump last Thursday urging the White House not to end DACA.

“These young people are already full-fledged members of our communities but, through no fault of their own, face uncertain futures due to their immigration status,” Tessier-Lavigne wrote. “They have met DACA’s strict criteria, have records of academic achievement and community involvement and have contributed to the economy.”

Tuesday’s University statement called on Congress to “expeditiously pass legislation to provide permanent legal residence and a path to citizenship for our country’s DREAMers” and noted Stanford’s resources for students or employees affected by the policy change. Resources are compiled at an Undocumented at Stanford website launched at the beginning of the year and range from free legal consultations for students to counseling and academic accommodations.

University spokesperson Lisa Lapin said Stanford does not have data on how many undocumented or DACA students and employees attend and work at Stanford. The University does not collect individuals’ DACA status, she said.

Many other universities have voiced support for DACA in the wake of the White House’s announcement. The move has been popular among Trump’s conservative base but has garnered opposition from the left, many employers and several top Republicans, including House Speaker Paul Ryan, who said Friday he did not want Trump to scrap the program and instead wanted Congress to handle the issue.

Current DACA recipients will keep their protected status until their permits expire and can renew before Oct. 5 if their permits are expiring within six months, the White House said. Applications for new permits that have already been submitted will be processed, but as of Tuesday, applications are closed.

Below is the University’s full statement:

Sept. 5, 2017

Stanford University statement on federal administration’s plans for DACA

Stanford University vigorously and adamantly opposes the shameful decision announced today to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. This announcement before Congress can enact a permanent legislative solution will bring further profound disruption and uncertainty to those who have met DACA’s strict requirements and are fully a part of American communities.

As President Marc Tessier-Lavigne wrote in a letter to the White House last week, DACA has allowed thousands of promising students to contribute to our country. “At Stanford, we have seen first-hand that investing in their education is an investment in our country’s future, as they apply their talents to strengthening our society and to driving economic growth,” he wrote. “In keeping with our deeply held American values, they deserve the opportunity to have legal resident status and to flourish in our society.”

At Stanford, we stand in firm support of everyone in our immigrant community. Stanford will continue to advocate tirelessly for immigration reform efforts that allow us to continue to welcome students, employees and scholars who contribute to our mission of education and discovery. In that context, we urge Congress to expeditiously pass legislation to provide permanent legal residence and a path to citizenship for our country’s DREAMers.

Stanford also stands ready to provide support to students and employees who have concerns or questions about today’s announcement. Information about support services is available on the Undocumented at Stanford website.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that, according to spokesperson Lisa Lapin, the University does not collect individuals’ immigration status. In fact, it does not collect information on whether students are DACA recipients. The Daily regrets this error.

Contact Hannah Knowles at hknowles ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Hannah Knowles

Hannah Knowles is a junior from San Jose double-majoring in English and The Daily. Prior to managing the news section, she was desk editor for the University and Local beat.
  • jimrussell

There’s not an ounce of decency in the pu$$y grabber Herr Twihitler. Dumb Donny is smaller than his hands.

• tomcfuller

Let’s see… Pelosi and other liberals drone on and on how they defend children, yet they are all for convenience abortion, which is a torturously painful death for the child. Two adults misbehave, and their child pays the ultimate price, so that they can escape the Natural consequences of their selfish choices. The definition of hypocrisy.

• Joe Citizen

I understand I am supposed to hate Trump for being a terrible person and all that – but, that takes a lot of energy, doesn’t it? And, wouldn’t it be wrong to hate Trump but not hate other people who might also have done horrible things? I mean, I need some guidance here, I’ve got limited time and energy – sorry – so, just a few questions:

1. Do I need to hate Obama at all? I understand Obama started DACA and wanted it to continue – but, according to this article, he did not start it until 2012 – do I have to hate Obama for the time in between his inauguration and the time he started the program? I mean, that must have been over 3 years., so, I guess at least 3/8th his Presidency was conducted under the “shameful” pre -DACA rules, right?

And do I have to hate the Nobel Peace Prize Committee? You know, because they gave him the prize before he had instituted DACA? I mean, they gave the Nobel Peace Prize to a President whose inaction was “shameful'” right?

And, what about other Presidents? I mean, I fully understand I need to hate George W. Bush – never had any DACA program – but what about Bill Clinton? True, he spent 8 years in office with no DACA either – but, didn’t he WANT to do it, and likely would have, if only it had looked politically expedient? That’s got to count for a lot, doesn’t it? Or is it also “shameful” to not take the only moral path just because it might cost you politically?

And, what about Hillary? Sure, she came out in favor of DACA eventually, -but she was ALSO silent for years and years wasn’t she? She did not say anything about it while Bill was in office, and also kept mum while Secretary of State under Obama for 3 years, right? Or does that get covered by political expediency as well? Or maybe she gets a pass because she felt it was not a woman’s place to try to tell the men what to do? Guidance Marc, please.

Try to get a grip Marc – one President has one policy – the one right before him had a different one -in fact, ALL the Presidents before Obama had the opposite policy – EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM – if Obama’s policy was so clearly more moral – so much so that it’s “shameful” to reverse it – shouldn’t everyone who never instituted it also be “ashamed”?

It seems to me you’ve got to issue a statement about this so everyone here will know precisely how they are supposed to feel – again, I get it, I understand fully we are supposed to hate Trump – you have presumed to speak for all in that regard – thanks for making that clear – but please don’t stop there, a lot of people on campus need to be told how to feel about pretty much everything, you can’t just leave them, hanging.

• Joe Citizen

I would add to my previous comment – I understand the feelings of the Stanford President may be in line with a majority of people connected to Stanford – but still, isn’t it extremely presumptuous of him to give the “Stanford” viewpoint? Is there a party line Stanford view on every other controversial topic? To me he seems to be WAY TOO FULL OF HIIMSELF – and I would find it insulting = even if I agreed with the statement – for him to issue a statement on my behalf. This man needs to be taken down a peg or two I think.

• skullbreathe

Of all people I would expect the Stanford President to know DACA was an acronym and the ‘D’ stood for deferred. In what sense does deferred imply permanency? Even Obama said his EO wasn’t lawful or meant to be permanent. But congrats Stanford faculty; you’re off to another one meltdown hysteria to the next already in 2017, and classes haven’t commenced yet…

• IMBACK

It’s interesting that this new Stanford president is spending so much time against Trump.

First with his email offering counseling and psychological services to Stanford students upset with the Nov 8th election. Would the same had been done if the democrats had won? – lols:)

Next Marc Tessier-Lavigne fires off press releases about the Paris accord and now DACA?

Marc you were not hired to push your personal political agenda using the Stanford platform as your soap box or to create a hostile environment for opposing viewpoints.

Marc where are the press releases of new innovative programs that Stanford is building under your watch. What have you done besides fire off Anti-Trump press releases and emails?

How is fund raising going? I haven’t seen a press releases announcing any large gifts or founding grants that are going to further students education at Stanford.

I don’t remember Hennessy being so political and under his watch Stanford was the top fund raising university in the country practically every year. Stanford faculty won more nobel prizes than any other university and became the most selective university in the country. He was also instrumental in creating the largest fully funded graduate scholars program in the world -the Knight-Hennessy Scholars.

Marc what have you done? what are your big ideas? forget your petty political charades… you were not hired for that and you certainly do not represent the entire Stanford community when you do. By you inciting and creating a divisive and politically motivated agenda I will be interested in seeing how that affects fund raising and alumni gift giving.

Marc you were hired to strengthen the Stanford brand, to improve biomedical initiatives at Stanford and for fund raising.

We’ll be watching and evaluating your performance. good luck