President and Provost’s response to the letter on sexual assault from the ASSU

We thank the entire ASSU for its leadership on the issue of sexual violence. We share your goal of eliminating sexual violence from our campus, and our commitment is unwavering. While it would be premature to speculate on possible changes in federal guidance or policies, we want to affirm that keeping our community safe for everyone to learn and work is a core value.

It is also important to recognize that Stanford remains obligated to upholding California laws which go well beyond federal guidance, including incorporating the preponderance of evidence standard and requiring affirmative consent.

There is of course more we can do as a community. We look forward to the ASSU’s continuing leadership to raise awareness as we grow our efforts with respect to prevention, education, adjudication and support. Eradicating sexual violence remains one of our highest university priorities.

Marc Tessier-Lavigne and Persis Drell

Editor’s Note: This letter is a response to an OpEd written by 32 current and former ASSU representatives published on July 11, 2017.

• Man with Axe

I would hope that due process of law for the accused would also be one of your highest university priorities. Or maybe you only care about the rights of people who bring pressure to bear.

• Joe Citizen

Although there is nothing per se wrong with affirmative consent, forcing it upon people = just because they happen to be college students – there is no such “law” regarding non-students – is really an abuse. I would ask President Tessier-Lavigne – and I don’t think it’s an impertinent or rude question – do YOU always get “affirmative consent” before all sexual activity? If not, WHY NOT? If it’s a good rule for your students, why isn’t it good enough for you? And Persis Drell – how about you? Both these administrators will no doubt see this comment – – so answer the question please – seriously, YOU brought this up and made a point of saying you support it – so do you practice it in your own lives? Do all the California legislators who voted for it? Frankly, I see a lot of cluelessness – the University has endless trouble with Professor Michele Dauber and the rest of the rape lobby types – don’t they see that endlessly passing extreme laws to mollify them is what has lead them to so arrogantly demand more?
    For Stanford’s sake, get some common sense and grow a backbone, with Trump in officer you have a chance to shed all this Title 9 nonsense, but that will never happen with the groveling you are so eager to offer to the zealots.