Fisher caps off track and field Pac-12s with individual title

Stanford men’s and women’s track and field placed 10th and seventh, respectively, in the Pac-12 Track and Field Championships this past weekend in Oregon. The highlight of the championship weekend for the Cardinal was sophomore Grant Fisher’s victory in the men’s 1,500 meters as he became only the ninth individual in Stanford history to win a distance event at the conference championship and the first 1,500 champion since 2008.

Starting the race at the back of the pack, Fisher was able to leverage a 51.81 final lap, which allowed him to outrun his competitors. Fisher, a returning outdoor All-American who has had previous success in the 5,000, is now a champion in the 1,500 meters with a time of 3:54.67.

Along with Fisher’s performance, Stanford’s middle-distance runners were able to collect points in every one of their respective races. For the women, freshman Christina Aragon finished second in the 800, making history as only the fifth Cardinal freshman to place in the top three. Aragon was able to collect second place with a time of 2:05.67 as she finished ahead of the third and fourth runners by a mere 0.06 seconds.

In the 1,500, senior Malika Waschmann placed fourth, leading a group of four Cardinal runners with a time of 4:24.19.

The Cardinal also had success in field events, as junior Lena Giger placed seventh in the hammer throw and third in shot put. Danielle Katz added more points for the Cardinal, placing fifth in the steeplechase to complement a seventh-place finish in the 5,000.

Junior Tai Dinger then ran a personal best in the men’s 800 to take third place. Just like Fisher, Dinger had a strong final lap in order to finish in 1:49.71.

The Cardinal will now have a 10-day hiatus before gearing up for the NCAA Regionals on May 25.

Contact Sydney Shaw at sshaw17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.