GSC approves ballot for higher student activity fee, talks elections

In its latest meeting, the Graduate Student Council (GSC) approved a proposal to ask voters for a higher graduate student activity fee and approved a bill seeking student comment on whether Stanford Student Enterprises should divest from fossil fuels.

The GSC voted unanimously to request an increase in their student fee of five dollars per quarter to bring annual revenues up to pace with annual expenditures. This ballot measure will be the second time in as many years the GSC has sought voter approval for a fee increase. Last year’s ballot measure failed due to low voter turnout despite receiving a majority of votes.

The GSC co-chair Pau Guinart Ph.D. ’18 reported that he met with the elections commissioner on Monday and discussed holding a meet and greet for GSC candidates. The spring election will be held this year on April 13-14, with results expected on April 15.

The GSC also approved funding for the Stanford Queer Women student group, the Russian Students Association, Stanford India Association and Asian American Graduate Student Association.

Finally, GSC committees reported on the progress of various initiatives, such as planning for the Grad Formal on May 5, the re-design of the GSC logo and an ongoing effort to archive council documents with the help of a librarian.

Contact Caleb Smith at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.