John Dunning to retire after 16 years as Stanford women’s volleyball head coach

After 16 years at Stanford, women’s volleyball head coach John Dunning will retire, Stanford Athletics announced Monday.

John Dunning to retire after 16 years as Stanford women's volleyball head coach
(DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

The winningest coach in program history, Dunning led the Cardinal this season to their seventh national championship with a 3-1 win over Texas in the NCAA title match on Dec. 17.

During his 32-year tenure as a head coach, both at Stanford and previously at Pacific, Dunning’s teams won five national championships and reached the Final Four 12 times. Dunning is the only women’s volleyball coach to have won an NCAA title in his first year at two different schools.

Over the course of his career, Dunning amassed an 888-185 (.828) overall record, and his teams reached the postseason all 32 years. In 2011, he was elected to the AVCA Hall of Fame.

“I am a very lucky person,” Dunning said. “I have had the joy of coaching in a sport I love for decades, but have decided that it is time to retire. I have had the wonderful opportunity to coach so many great student-athletes, and work with amazing people in amazing programs at great universities. I am grateful for all the support I have received and hope in the coming weeks to be able to reach out and thank people for all that they have done for me.”

Contact Olivia Hummer at ohummer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Olivia Hummer '17 is a managing editor of The Daily's sports section and writes about volleyball, football and baseball. When she's not filling in as an emergency copy editor, she can be found curled up in a ball bemoaning the misfortunes of her beloved Seattle Mariners or cursing the misuse of the Stanford Athletics logo. Olivia is a senior majoring in history from Covina, California, and can be reached at ohummer 'at' stanford.edu.