Missing Travis, men’s basketball falls to Troy
Marcus Allen scored a season-high 13 points in Stanford's third straight loss. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford men’s basketball (8-7, 0-3 Pac-12) turned the ball over 21 times to the Trojans (15-1, 2-1) in a 72-56 loss on Thursday night at USC.

With bang-up big man Reid Travis out with an injured right shoulder, the Cardinal trailed the entire night, the closest they got to a break being a 13-4 run to bring them within two points after 16 minutes of play. Senior Marcus Allen’s season-high and team-leading 13 points made little progress toward slowing the uptempo Trojans, who, though also giving up a large number of turnovers (18), scored 27 points off turnovers to Stanford’s nine.

After struggling from the field in the first half, junior Dorian Pickens tied the team-high 13 point-mark, an effort that included a late three to give the Cardinal whatever was left of a hope. Sophomore Josh Sharma added eight points off the bench including a three-pointer as well as recorded a career-high seven rebounds.

USC’s Jordan McLaughlin led the Trojans with 15, while Chimezie Metu tacked on a double double (14 points, 10 rebounds) and showed off some highlight-reel blocks.

Stanford went 4-15 from behind the arc to USC’s 8-25, with several Cardinal threes chucked up as the shot clock was expiring.

The Cardinal will finish their four-game gauntlet against ranked teams on Sunday when they meet No. 4 UCLA at Pauley Pavilion. The game will be televised on Fox Sports 1 starting at 5 p.m.

Contact Tristan Vanech at tvanech ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Tristan Vanech

Tristan Vanech is a sports managing editor and former news desk editor on the campus life beat. A Symbolic Systems major from Venice, CA, Tristan loves playing basketball and football. His most notable accomplishment at The Daily is leading its flag football team as quarterback to break a three-year drought in the annual Ink Bowl against the Daily Cal. Ball is life. Email him at tvanech@stanford.edu.
  • Candid One

TV, have you watched previous Cardinal games? That’s a gratuitous and inept implication about the role of Marcus Allen in this loss. Didn’t you notice how much better than expected Stanford played in Travis Reid’s absence? From last season, regardless of coaching changes, Marcus Allen had been expected to be the player we saw last night. However, Allen has seemingly been over-focused on his role in their ball movement scheme to feed the ball in low…to Travis Reid, etc. Last night, instead of feeding Travis, he fed the basket–and was the only starter without a turnover.

Travis Reid’s presence might’ve made this game slightly closer, maybe not. The rest of the team needed this experience at playing without him; they got back to using more of the skills that most had subverted as support players for Travis. Stanford won’t get a NCAA Tournament slot but they’ll become a tougher out after last night because of this revisit to their nearly-forgotten chemistry of last year. Now…can they revive their outside shots?