Breaking the bubble

When I think of the words “1950s housewife,” the adjective that comes to mind is “trapped.” Many women living their lives as a housewife felt trapped within the confines of their own home, the very place where they were supposed to feel safe. Experiences of depression, anxiety and “hysteria” were common amongst housewives as they operated in such a confined space.

This began a long tradition of gendering “crazy,” usually as female. From literature to pop culture, the idea of the “crazy” wife, ex or mistress has been a popularized topic. Everyone has heard of the phrase “that bitch was crazy,” the short story “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and the movie “Gone Girl.” The most recent contribution to this trend was “The Girl on the Train,” though this movie also subverts the whole “gendering crazy” thing and other gender norms.

I went to see that film in theaters a couple weekends ago (for any fans of mine out there, that was the movie I saw in my vlog), and it made me think about life at Stanford. All of us know about the Stanford Bubble, or the imaginary force field that surrounds campus and seemingly prevents us from interacting with the outside world. The separation from the real world is a hot topic for conversation amongst many Stanford students, and, from my experience, has contributed to a lot of anxiety and depression amongst several students.

In a way, we’re living our own version of the 1950s housewife lifestyle. We’re stuck in this specific microcosm of society, without much opportunity to be reminded of what real life is like outside of the p-sets, FoHo and Arrillaga Dining food. But I care about you, and I want to remind you that however you’re feeling on this campus right now, you are not alone. There is more out there, and your life is not limited to your four years here on campus. Get out there, go to the SFMOMA (it’s only a 15-minute walk from the SF Caltrain stop, and I highly recommend it), go see a movie, have a picnic in a park, go to the beach – whatever you need to do to break the Bubble. There are Zipcars, Ubers, Lyfts, buses and trains to get you where you need to go. So go forth: Be a part of the life beyond Stanford.

Also, if you feel you need counseling, there are friends, RAs, Bridge peer counselors and CAPS professionals, all available to you, so please take care of yourself this Week 7!

Contact Arianna Lombard at ariannal ‘at’ stanford.edu.