What to see at Outside Lands 2016

Aug. 5, 2016, 9:32 a.m.

It’s August again, and that means that it’s time for another installment of Outside Lands, the annual music festival in Golden Gate Park. This year, the festival is headlined by Radiohead, Lionel Ritchie and LCD Soundsystem, but there’s so much more to see and hear. If you’re one of the lucky people who managed to get a pass to the sold-out event, here are some of the artists you might want to check out.

Friday

• Jidenna, on the Twin Peaks stage at 2:10. This cane-wielding ‘08 Stanford alum hits Outside Lands after releasing his first single, “Classic Man” (#22 on Billboard) a year and a half ago. The former Blackfest headliner brings his unique fusion of R&B and hip-hop, or “swank” to the stage armed with his brandy-filled gold cane.  
  • John Mulaney, at the Barbary at 5:35. Need a break from the music and want to hear weird high-school stories from a man who has the “moral backbone of a chocolate eclair?” Then John Mulaney has you covered. Coming off of his Netflix original “The Comeback Kid,” John Mulaney will keep you laughing for the entire hour with his stories of high school parties and opinions on Back to the Future. This is a show you won’t want to miss, but if you do you’re in luck because he is back on stage Saturday at 3:25.
  • Other acts to look out for: LANY (12:45 – Lands End), FDVM (3 – The House by Heineken)
Jidenna struts the stage with a gold-tipped cane and a bouncing gait. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Jidenna Mobisson ’08 will be performing at Outside Lands this year, and headlined Blackfest in 2015. (RAHIM ULLAH / The Stanford Daily)

Saturday

• Fantastic Negrito, on the Twin Peaks stage at 12:40. Start out your day with some homegrown soul/rock/blues. Well… fingers crossed. The Oakland-based band was actually supposed to perform at last year’s Outside Lands, but frontman Xavier Dphrepaulezz was arrested at the festival after an intern attempted to sell a staff wristband on Craigslist, effectively canceling the set. Thankfully this year, festival-goers will have another shot at hearing Dphrepaulezz’s taut, emotive music.
  • Lord Huron, on the Sutro stage at 3:55. If you’re feeling stressed out by the whole music festival experience, come listen to the flowing instrumentals and mellifluous voice of Ben Schneider. Comprised of Michigan transplants in Los Angeles, Lord Huron brings a dark folk sound that will make you want to close your eyes and float away.   
  • Other acts to look out for: Dan Harmon (12:50 – The Barbary), Big Grams (4:40 – Lands End), Jauz (5:15 – Twin Peaks), Surfjan Stevens (6:35 – Sutro), Zedd (8:40 – Twin Peaks)

Sunday

• Chance the Rapper, on the Land’s End stage at 4:45. If you’re going to Outside Lands, we don’t have to explain why have to go see Chance, because you were going to do that whether we told you to or not.
  • Oh Wonder, on the Land’s End stage at 1:15. Can lightning strike twice? Oh Wonder proved that it can – 14 times. This UK duo took the music world by storm from their home studio in south-east London, writing and releasing a new song from their debut album each month for a year on SoundCloud. All 14 songs went on to top Hypemachine. Come “Lose It” this afternoon as you enjoy the pop-duo’s second performance ever in the Bay.
  • Other acts to look out for: Snakehips (2:00 – Twin Peaks), Jack Garratt (2:35 – Sutro), Third Eye Blind (3:25 – Land’s End), Kehlani (3:30 – Twin Peaks), Major Lazer (6:25 – Land’s End), Rufus du Sol (5:55 – Panhandle)

Contact Sam Girvin and Ned Danyliw at [email protected] and [email protected].

Sam Girvin '16 MS '17 was a Daily photographer and coterm in electrical engineering. He served as managing editor of photography for five consecutive volumes and is now enjoying his retirement. He spends his newfound free time at Amazon Lab126, where they pay better than The Daily. Sam grew up in southern California and Tokyo, but currently resides in San Francisco.