Lacrosse breezes by Oregon and Cal

The No. 9 Stanford lacrosse team remains undefeated in the MPSF after a 14-2 road victory against Oregon on Friday and a 19-5 blowout over Cal at home on Monday. Junior Kelsey Murray was a key attacker, scoring five goals in both games.

Murray, with a wild assist coming from junior attacker Elizabeth Cusick, scored the first goal of the game against the Ducks in only 11 seconds. Murray went on to finish the first half with a hat trick. Stanford ended the period up 8-0, preventing Oregon from landing a single shot and outdrawing them 8-to-1.

Moving into the second half the Cardinal continued to outshoot the Ducks, dropping two goals within the first few minutes. Oregon was finally able to score its first goal of the game after four minutes of play. They wouldn’t score again until later in the half. The Cardinal ended the game with 31 shots on goal and a 14-2 victory.

Stanford headed back home to host the Bears this past Monday in a 19-5 blowout. Both teams took the field supporting One Love, a foundation that works with young people across the country to raise awareness about relationship violence. The game was played in Stanford Stadium, home of the Stanford football team.

Like the game against the Ducks, Murray was quick to get on the scoreboard, firing a shot only 10 seconds into the game. Stanford went back and forth with Cal in the beginning of the half, but it did not take long for the Cardinal to gain total offensive control, tearing seven unanswered goals. Stanford went into the half with a 13-3 lead.

The second half was yet again dominated by a Cardinal offensive showcase lead, this time by sophomore Dillion Schoen and senior Mackenzie Tesi, both of whom ended the game with hat tricks. Stanford only let Cal score two goals the entire second half, and ended the game with a 19-5 victory.

The Cardinal continues its MPSF gameplay this Friday at 5 p.m. on the road versus Fresno State.

Contact Sydney Shaw at sshaw17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.