Women’s golf leads from wire to wire in dominant Silverado Showdown showing

No. 11 Stanford women’s golf took its third win of the season with a 1-over 865 finish at the Silverado Showdown in Napa, California to close out the regular season on a high note before the start of the championship events in two weeks.

Backed by four eagles, Stanford topped the field of 18 teams by a 13-stroke margin over second-place Oregon and never trailed throughout the tournament. The Cardinal were the only team to finish under par on both the first and second days, with a 2-under 286 and a 3-under 285, respectively, to hold a 14-stroke lead going into the final day of competition.

Although the team regressed to a 6-over 294 on the third and final day, Stanford was able to largely maintain its lead and hold off the Ducks, who were led by tournament individual champion Cathleen Santoso (-5).

Senior Lauren Kim finished 4-under to take second place in her final regular-season tournament, while junior Casey Danielson also snagged a top-four finish (-3). Senior Mariah Stackhouse shot 4-over to tie for 13th with sophomore Shannon Aubert, rounding out Stanford’s scoring contributors.

Kim and Stackhouse were both honored by head coach Anne Walker at the awards ceremony after leading the Cardinal to 12 tournament wins and the program’s only national championship while at Stanford.

“This is really a special moment for the women’s program,” Walker said. “It was a fitting end for them to be remembered that way.”

Stanford will now eye the fifth conference championship in program history when it travels across the Bay to Pleasanton, California for the Pac-12 Championships from April 18-20.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dhpark ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.