Five Healthy Breakfasts Guaranteed to Help Cure your Hangover

Most of us are pretty familiar with that feeling you get when you wake up from a long night of drinking, where all you want is to find anything to make the headache and those miserable hangover symptoms disappear. A big, greasy breakfast might sound appealing for your hangover relief, but contrary to common belief, a large, fatty meal will actually make your hangover worse. Fatty food actually irritates your stomach lining, and can make you more nauseous.

Here are five healthy breakfasts that are guaranteed to alkalize, detox, and nourish you after a night of drinking, all while helping to rid you of the nasty hangover symptoms.

Whole wheat bagel with avocado + coconut water

(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)
(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)

It’s no secret that the morning after a long night of drinking, you are craving carbs. A whole wheat bagel will provide the carbs you want to help settle an upset stomach, while also providing some complex carbohydrates. Instead of topping your bagel with cream cheese, since the dairy can irritate your stomach, top it with avocado. Avocado is full of healthy fats, and detoxifying B6 vitamins. That pounding headache you get the next morning comes from pretty severe dehydration, so drink up. Coconut water is a perfect drink to rehydrate, as it helps to replenish your electrolytes and micronutrients.

Oatmeal with peanut butter and pumpkin seeds

(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)
(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)

A warm bowl of oats in the morning can be soothing on an upset stomach, and the complex carbohydrates from the oats help to stabilize blood sugar, which crashes after a night of drinking sugary drinks. Top your oats with natural peanut butter, which provides a boost of protein and salt to replenish the sodium you have lost through dehydration. Pumpkin seeds offer a great boost of magnesium, an essential nutrient which is depleted when you drink. Replenishing magnesium will help you quickly get rid of the shaky muscles, fatigue, and dizziness that comes along with the hangover.

Smoked salmon, poached egg, and quinoa breakfast bowl

(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)
(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)

This nourishing bowl is packed full of the nutrients you need to help boost your hangover recovery. Quinoa provides protein and a hefty dose of magnesium, while the smoked salmon is rich in vitamin B12, which plays a crucial role in detoxifying your liver. Topping this bowl with a poached egg isn’t just delicious; eggs are also great for the morning after a long night out. Eggs have high concentrations of the amino acids taurine and cysteine, which are proven to help metabolize alcohol. Cysteine counteracts acetaldehyde, the byproduct of metabolizing alcohol that causes headaches and chills, while taurine helps to repair liver damage.

Green Smoothie

(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)
(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)

A night of drinking alcohol causes your body’s pH levels to become acidic, so blend up a green smoothie that will help detoxify and alkalize your system. Some great ingredients to pack into your green smoothie are hydrating coconut water, alkalizing greens such as kale and spinach, potassium rich banana, and antioxidant heavy blueberries.

Greek yogurt with fruit, granola, and almond butter

(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)
(Maggie Harriman/The Stanford Daily)

Greek yogurt can be a surprising miracle cure for your hangover symptoms. Eating a serving of Greek yogurt provides the potassium content equivalent to one banana, and potassium is an essential nutrient that needs to be replenished after being lost through dehydration. Berries are full of energizing antioxidants, and almond butter is full of healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamin E, which support the liver. Not only is this breakfast healthy and beautiful, but it is a sweet way to kick off your morning with a needed energy boost.