Softball seeks consistency ahead of Hawaii Tournament

Stanford softball (7-7) is heading to Honolulu this weekend to compete in the Hawaii Tournament, which will take place Friday through Sunday. The team will play three games against Coastal Carolina (7-8) and two games against Hawaii (10-7).

Junior Bessie Noll (above) has had a strong start to the 2016 season, posting a team-high  (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)
Junior Bessie Noll (above) has had a strong start to the 2016 season, posting a team-high 17 hits and 4 home runs. She accumulated a .933 percentage along with 6 RBIs, 3 doubles and a home run in the Mary Nutter Classic last weekend.
(DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

The Cardinal have seen mixed results this season, but their split result (3-2) at the Mary Nutter Classic last weekend — including a 5-3 victory over No. 17 Missouri — should give them some confidence as they head out on the road.

All of the pieces are in place for a strong showing from Stanford. The team found its offensive momentum at times last weekend, but finding consistency will be key for the Cardinal. Junior centerfielder Bessie Noll led the Cardinal’s offensive surge, slugging .933 while racking up 6 RBIs, 3 doubles and a home run in the Mary Nutter Classic. She currently leads the team in several categories, including hits (17) and home runs (4).

The Cardinal rotation helped to carry the team in its victories last weekend. Freshman Carolyn Lee and sophomore Haley Snyder have performed strongly in the circle, each shouldering upwards of 40 innings while maintaining 3.99 and 3.61 ERAs, respectively.

Stanford has the chance to make a statement this weekend as they hope to establish a winning record, but the Cardinal’s success is dependent on their ability to translate their strong individual performances into a team victory.

The five-game tournament kicks off Friday at 4:30 p.m. A live stream and live statistics will be available on GoStanford.com.  

Contact Olivia Hummer at ohummer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Olivia Hummer '17 is a managing editor of The Daily's sports section and writes about volleyball, football and baseball. When she's not filling in as an emergency copy editor, she can be found curled up in a ball bemoaning the misfortunes of her beloved Seattle Mariners or cursing the misuse of the Stanford Athletics logo. Olivia is a senior majoring in history from Covina, California, and can be reached at ohummer 'at' stanford.edu.