Letter to the Editor: On “Stanford Birthright trips stir controversy among students”

Regarding Sarah Wishingrad’s Feb. 23 article, “Stanford Birthright trips stir controversy among students,” the debates on listserves, at Hillel and across the campus testify to the curiosity and passion of Stanford students who seek respectful and transparent opportunities to learn more, and particularly want to explore the complexities of Israel.

In an era in which the University offers students few opportunities to travel to the Middle East, Hillel@Stanford supports diverse trips for all Stanford students who are interested in seeing, hearing and learning on their own terms about the developments and challenges facing Israelis and Palestinians. Hillel@Stanford’s George and Charlotte Shultz Fellowship in Modern Israel Studies encourages student research on issues relevant to modern Israel and the betterment of Israeli-Arab relations. Four fellowships were awarded this past year, including two focused on energy and environmental research. In addition to Birthright trips – free, 10-day trips to Israel – Hillel@Stanford facilitates tech and other internships, as well as volunteer and study opportunities to experience first-hand Israel’s geography, cultures, politics and religions.

– Rabbi Serena Eisenburg

Contact Rabbi Serena Eisenberg at serenae1 ‘at’ stanford.edu