Men’s basketball handled by Oregon in 71-58 loss
Forward Michael Humphrey (left) notched 18 points on 7-13 shooting, along with 5 rebounds in Monday's loss to the Ducks. It was the sophomore's third-highest point total of his career (RAHIM ULLAH/ The Stanford Daily).

Stanford men’s basketball (9-6, 2-2 Pac-12) saw its first conference road trip end in a split on Sunday as the team fell 71-58 to Oregon (13-3, 2-1 Pac-12).

Oregon sophomore Dillon Brooks was three assists away from a triple-double as the Ducks simply wore out the Cardinal with their energetic passing and intensity on the boards. Oregon outshot Stanford 47 percent to 38 percent and out-rebounded the Cardinal by a 38-22 margin, ultimately doing more than enough to preserve their unbeaten record in Eugene this season.

“We knew we had to out-rebound them because they out-rebounded Oregon State,” Brooks remarked to ESPN after the game. “We had to get good shots, and I was [just] trying to get my teammates into it.”

The Cardinal came out strong and managed to keep things close in the first half, riding an 11-point performance from sophomore Michael Humphrey to stay within four at the break. The team looked to gain ground early in the second and twice drew within a single point of the Ducks, but Oregon answered with a 17-5 run that seemed to break down the Cardinal’s discipline on defense and put the home team in a strong position coming down the stretch.

Stanford hung around for most of the rest of the game, but the team couldn’t get the stops it needed to mount a comeback effort like in its recent games against Utah, Texas and Colorado. Oregon’s domination of the offensive glass and consistent ability to find good looks forced Stanford to send the Ducks to the free-throw line, but Oregon missed just one of its final twelve attempts to effectively remove the chance of any late drama.

Humphrey finished with 18 points, while senior Rosco Allen scored 13 and junior Marcus Allen added 12 before fouling out with 2:34 to play. The rest of Stanford’s squad combined for just 15 points, however, as Oregon enjoyed a 20-11 advantage in bench points and saw just one of its players out-scored by the Cardinal’s next highest contributor after Humphrey and the two Allens.

Brooks led Oregon with 15 points, but it was Dana Altman’s signature pass-based attack that generated most of its offense. The Ducks had six different players score at least eight points, effectively reversing Stanford’s playmaker-centered offense and forcing the Cardinal to play catch-up late in the evening.

Stanford now returns home to Maples Pavilion where its tough run of play will continue against rival California on Thursday and No. 7 Arizona on Jan. 21. The Cardinal will hope to grab at least one victory out of these two games to keep their conference play going on a positive note.

Contact Andrew Mather at amather ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Andrew Mather

Andrew Mather served as a sports editor and as the Chief Operating Officer of The Daily. Growing up a devout Clippers and Iowa Hawkeyes fan in the suburbs of Los Angeles, Mather grew accustomed to watching his favorite programs snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. He brings this nihilistic pessimism to The Daily, where he occasionally feels a strong sense of déjà vu while covering basketball, football and golf.
  • Candid One

Oregon has a gem in Chris Boucher, a 6′-10″ juco transfer, who may eventually lead the nation in blocked shots. He single-handedly voided Stanford’s inside game–which was a key issue in Stanford’s loss. Oregon’s rims are notoriously hard, which negates a “shooter’s bounce” and tends to discourage long-range shooting by visitors; that also affords long rebounds that nullify inside rebounding.

The Ducks are one of the most athletic teams in the PAC-12. Oregon has already lost to Oregon State and were keenly aware of Stanford’s recent win in Corvallis. Consider it as a sign of respect that Oregon was not underestimating the Cardinal, who’d beat a ranked Utah team and almost beat a favored Colorado, with its comeback efforts. It was a combination of unlucky bounces, Oregon’s athleticism–and its consistent effort. Oregon did not want to let Stanford come back on them. The Ducks outplayed the Cardinal last night but Stanford misses that extra, good big man inside…Reid Travis. Hopefully, Travis will be back next month, when the Oregon teams swing through the Bay area.