Weekend recap: Playoffs?!

While the weekend may have been marred with football’s loss to Oregon that knocked the team out of contention for the College Football Playoff, many other teams still have a shot at making deep runs into their respective NCAA tournaments. We recap everything here:

• No. 7 football was narrowly edged by conference rival Oregon in a 38-36 thriller that came down to the last play. The loss marked the team’s first conference loss all season.
  • Third-ranked women’s soccer had a decisive victory over San Jose State to move on to the second round of the NCAA tournament. The team will play BYU on Thursday.
  • Women’s and men’s basketball ended the weekend with two wins apiece. The women‘s team beat UC Davis and Gonzaga on the road, while the men took on Wisconsin Green-Bay and Charleston Southern at Maples.
  • Field hockey ended its season in a 1-0 overtime loss to Duke in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The team ended its season with a 13-7 record, was co-champion of the America East West Division and will graduate a stellar class of six seniors.
  • Women’s volleyball suffered a four-set defeat at the hands of No. 3 Washington but bounced back with a win against Washington State in Pullman.
  • Men’s water polo ended its regular season with a crushing 13-8 defeat against No. 2 Cal at home. The team next competes in the MPSF tournament, which it will seek to win to get into the NCAA tournament.
  • The men’s cross country team finished second at the NCAA West Regionals, earning a berth to the NCAA tournament, while the women came in fourth and later earned an at-large bid to the NCAAs on Sunday.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.