Weekend recipe: Spiced overnight oats

Finally, the weather is cooling down, sweaters are coming out and (some) of the leaves are changing color. It’s officially fall. And this obviously means one thing: pumpkin season is in full swing.

Whether you admit it or not, you probably have a bunch of pumpkin recipes saved. You know you can’t wait for Thanksgiving so you can have your annual slice of homemade pumpkin pie. You may even be one of those people who actually like Starbucks’s Pumpkin Spice flavoring.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Pumpkin can go far beyond just dessert and coffee. With this easy pumpkin recipe, you can bring that delicious magic of pumpkin spice to your morning.

Overnight oats are the perfect healthy breakfast and pack a nutritional punch. This recipe has it all — filling fiber from the oats, antioxidants from the fruit and protein and healthy fats from the nut butter. And best of all, they take only 5 minutes to whip up the night before — all you need to do is prep and soak in the fridge overnight.

With this recipe, you can wake up to a warm and delicious bowl of pumpkin-y goodness with little to no effort. Just pull your oats out of the fridge in the morning, heat, top and enjoy!

Level: Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes

“Cook” Time: Overnight

Serves one

Ingredients:

Bowl or mason jar (if you’re feeling extra trendy and Pinteresty)

1/3 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)

1/4 cup pumpkin puree

1/4 cup choice of milk (almond, soy, oat, coconut, normal… you name it)

2 tsp chia seeds

A drizzle of honey

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*

1 spoonful of almond butter

Toppings ideas:

Persimmon

Banana

Dried figs

Dried fruit

Coconut

Instructions:

1. Combine oats, chia seeds, honey, pumpkin, spices and milk to your bowl or jar.
  2. Stir until well-mixed.
  3. Seal and leave in the fridge overnight.
  4. The next morning, remove your oats from the fridge, and microwave for 1 minute if desired.
  5. Top with your choice of toppings.
  6. Enjoy!