Weekend recap: McCaffrey throws for TD, field hockey bows out of conference tournament

This last weekend marked another strong outing for the Cardinal, with several teams nearing the end of or competing their regular seasons and starting to prepare for NCAA tournaments. We recap what you need to know here:

• After a tight win against Washington State last week, No. 9 Stanford rebounded to its usual dominant form against Colorado, cruising past the Buffaloes 42-10 Saturday in a victory that featured many creative play-calls from head coach David Shaw. Christian McCaffrey notched 220 all-purpose yards and even threw a touchdown.
  • No. 13 field hockey suffered a 2-1 overtime loss to No. 19 Maine in the semifinals of the America East tournament. The team will face No. 4 Duke in the first round of the NCAA tournament this Saturday.
  • Women’s soccer, ranked third in the nation, ended its regular season with a 1-1 draw against No. 20 Cal on its Senior Day.
  • No. 7 women’s volleyball completed its Oregon road trip with a sweep of Oregon State on Sunday, its sixth consecutive win.
  • In its fifth straight win, No. 5 Stanford men’s water polo crushed No. 9 Pepperdine 21-11. Senior Bret Bonanni added 6 goals to push his record-breaking career total to 345.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.