Swimming All-American and national champion Simone Manuel to redshirt this season

Seven-time All-American and four-time national champion Simone Manuel announced Thursday that she will redshirt the 2015-2016 season to focus on training for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials.

()
Sophomore Simon Manuel (above), a four-time national champion and American record holder in the 100 free, will redshirt this season in preparation for the Olympic Team Trials (TRI NGUYEN/The Stanford Daily)

“After careful thought and discussion with my coaches, I have decided to redshirt and shift my focus to long-course training and competition for the upcoming year,” Manuel said. “I am still training with Stanford University and will continue my journey academically. I am fortunate and grateful to be a part of the Stanford family, as we share and support each other on our journeys.”

Manuel, a sophomore, made headlines last year for an absolutely dominant first year on The Farm and in the swimming world. The Pac-12 Swimming Freshman/Newcomer of the Year earned national titles in the 50-yard free, 100-yard free, 400-yard free relay and 400-yard medley relay and Pac-12 titles in the 100-yard free, 400-yard free relay and 400-yard medley relay. She also holds Stanford records in the 50-yard free, 100-yard free, 200-yard free, 400-yard free relay and 800-yard free relay.

Manuel made history in late March when she, Stanford teammate Lia Neal and Florida’s Natalie Hinds were the first African-American swimmers to sweep an event — the 100-yard freestyle — at the NCAA Championships. She also owns the American record for the 100-yard free event with a 46.09.

“This is a great decision for Simone,” said head coach Greg Meehan. “Continuing her academics, training and social life here at Stanford allows for consistency over the next eight-plus months leading up to the Olympic Trials. Simone will still benefit from training in the team environment and our program will certainly benefit from her presence.

“Our lineup looks slightly different without Simone and sophomore All-American diver Kassidy Cook (also redshirting the 2015-16 season), but I’m excited about the opportunities for our team. So far, I’ve been really impressed with how they are taking advantage of these opportunities.”

The women’s swim team is back in action this Friday for the Alumni Meet, after which it will next face Texas A&M in mid-November.

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexa Philippou '18 is a political science major and a former Managing Editor of The Daily's sports section. She switched from the sports section to news her junior year, where she has worked on the university/local beat since. Being from Baltimore, she is a die-hard Ravens and Orioles fan who cried when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. To contact Alexa, please email her at aphil723 'at' stanford.edu.