Researchers modify hepatitus B virus for targeted drug delivery

Stanford researchers have redesigned the hepatitis B virus so that it is invisible to the immune system and can target certain cells without delivering an infectious payload. This report was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and professor of chemical engineering and bioengineering James Swartz, who led the report, hopes his findings will advance targeted drug delivery.

Targeted drug delivery, which enables treatment to target specific, diseased cells, is one of the main goals of modern medicine.

“We call this a smart particle,” Swartz said in a Stanford News article. “We make it smart by adding molecular tags that act like addresses to send the therapeutic payload where we want it to go.”

Professor James Swartz holds an enlarged replica of a virus-like particle. Swartz and his team have re-engineered a virus to deliver therapies to cells. (Stanford News Service, Linda Rice)

(Courtesy of Linda Rice/Stanford News Service)

Viruses are similarly able to target specific cells but instead carry an infectious payload. As a result, the immune system attacks viruses in the body. Working with the virus that causes hepatitis B, Swartz and Yuan Lu, a pharmacology researcher at the University of Tokyo, took advantage of this targeting system for drug delivery.

The researchers changed the DNA of the virus – in particular, its middle layer, called the capsid – so that it appeared invisible in the immune system. This enabled the virus to travel throughout the body without being attacked. They also removed the infectious payload, opening possibilities to inject a medicinal payload instead, and changed the surface of the virus so that molecular tags can be attached to it. These molecular tags allow the virus to target only diseased cells.

Swartz explained that when he originally proposed his project, funding agencies said it couldn’t be done. After four years of work, Swartz hopes his findings will breathe new life into targeted drug delivery, where “smart particles” can deliver treatment to only harmful cells and leave healthy cells alone. This would also minimize the side effects of medication and radiation.

“This was a proof-of-principle experiment so there’s a lot of work to be done,” Swartz said. “But I believe we can use this smart particle to deliver cancer-fighting immunotherapies that will have minimal side effects.”

Swartz said the next steps are to train the immune system to recognize certain cancers by attaching cancer tags to the smart particle and then to further engineer the DNA so that protein can self-assemble around a small medicinal payload.

“That will be quite complicated, but we’ve already gotten this far when they said it couldn’t be done,” Swartz said.

Contact Jeremy Quach at jquach ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Jeremy Quach

Jeremy Quach is a sophomore Desk Editor for the Student Groups beat and is from Kansas City, Kansas. He can often be found smiling, stuffing his face full of french fries, and mumbling Beatles lyrics to himself. He can be contacted at jquach ‘at’ stanford.edu.
  • Brown Lilian

Hello friends!!!! my name is brown lillian am from USA , i want to share this great and wonderful testimony to the general public on how i got cured from my sickness called (HEPATITIS B) by DR Aloma healing herbal medicine , I have been suffering from (HEPATITIS B) for good 6 years now and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the constant pain, especially in my LIVER . all I have in my mind is let me just give up because life was no longer intestine to me any more but I just pray to God every day to accept my soul when ever I die, luckily to me , my kid sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure (HEPATITIS B, HERPES,CANCER, and HIV/AIDS ) she helped me out on everything, the great Dr Aloma only ask for my Details and some items , so that he can prepare a Herbal medicine for me and send it to me in my country , which i did.. so after two days of getting the medicine and taking it as prescribe to me from him , I started getting more stronger my blood started flowing normally , i started experiencing changes all over my Body as the great DR Aloma assured me that i should go for medical check up that i have been cured, so after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed , behold it was TRUE and i was very Happy ,so if you have HERPES , HEPATITIS B ,CANCER , HIV/AIDS or any kind of sickness YOU HAVE , you can contact him and also he do cast love spell , and any kind of spell you can think off or any illness get cured, i advice you all to contact him on Via mail at (dralomaherbscure@gmail.com)(dralomaherbalcure@outlook.com) contact number +2340851095232 Good luck.