This week in Arts and Life: May 4 — May 10

From “Inside Out” to Hiatus Kaiyote, here’s what’s happening this week in arts and life.

Film

Pixar is joining forces with the Stanford Daily, Stanford Students in Entertainment and Reel Update to bring you an exclusive look at the making of “Inside Out.” “Inside Out,” the latest from the folks over at Pixar, explores the dueling emotions inside a young girl’s mind. Word of mouth has been alarmingly positive and, from what we hear, the film sounds like it might be an instant classic. The presentation will begin at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Art4 (in Cummings).

In addition, with blockbuster season finally kicking off, the multiplex is full to bursting with theatrical releases. “Hot Pursuit” joins “Avengers: Age of Ultron” this week, though if you’re looking for both entertainment and quality, Thomas Vinterberg’s “Far From the Madding Crowd” is probably your best bet. “Avengers: Age of Ultron” is also not too shabby but, in comparison to the previous installments in the franchise, it’s a bit of a let-down.

Over on VOD, your options are pretty much unchanged, though Xavier Dolan’s exceptional “Mommy” is now available for rental in the United States. Also available, is Helen Hunt’s directorial debut “Ride.” Critics have not exactly been kind but, then again, Helen Hunt is Helen Hunt.

Music

Rumor has it that this week, Chance the Rapper will drop his much-anticipated new album, “Surf”. The project, which will be downloadable for free online, will highlight his talented and diverse backup band, the Social Experiment. Judging by some of the band’s recent releases (such as an inspired cover of the “Arthur” theme song), “Surf” should be a unique and uplifting listening experience.

A number of other highly anticipated albums are set for release this week. On May 4, look out for Australian neo-soul group Hiatus Kaiyote’s “Choose Your Weapon,” reviewed here by music desk editor Ben Sorensen. In addition, Mumford & Sons will unveil “Wilder Mind,” which has generated buzz due to its rumored departure from the band’s acoustic folk aesthetic. And on May 5, be sure to check out “California Nights,” the latest from Los Angeles lo-fi rockers Best Coast.

Visual arts

This Wednesday, “Modern Times,” an exhibition featuring the work of Georgia O’Keeffe, Alfred Stieglitz and Harlem Renaissance writer Jean Toomer, opens at the Cantor Arts Center. The exhibition features about six works that underscore the relationship between the three artists.

On the following day, Francisco Prado-Vilar will be giving a lecture at the Cummings Arts Building at 5:45 p.m., discussing the significance of the Santiago Cathedral Project. The project is one of research and conservation that focuses on the 12th-century western narthex known as the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.

Contact the Arts and Life Editors at arts ‘at’ stanforddaily.com