Stanford outslugs Pacific in high-scoring affair

Although Stanford’s softball team led Tuesday night’s game 9-2 going into the top of the seventh inning, Pacific came back with five runs, but that was not enough to obtain a win over the Cardinal, which won 9-7.

Junior utility player Kayla Bonstrom (above) has been one of the more consistent Cardinal players this season. Her home run against Pacific was a key component of their win. FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily.
Junior utility player Kayla Bonstrom (above) has been one of the most consistent Cardinal players this season. Her home run against Pacific was a key component of Stanford’s win. (FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford (16-19) defeated the Tigers (10-26) 9-5 earlier this season at the Stanford Nike Invitational. Starting strong, the Cardinal secured the first run of the game in the top of the second inning. With senior Hanna Winter’s single to first, sophomore Kylie Sorenson scored. The Cardinal’s defense, led by the pitching of Sorenson, held the Tigers until the fourth inning. With two outs, Toni Santos singled up the middle, and an error by Stanford allowed two runs to score.

However, the Cardinal was not unsettled. Coming back with two runs on a single by junior Kayla Bonstrom at the top of the sixth, Stanford found its flow. In the top of the seventh, freshman Lauren Wegner’s flyout to right field and Winter’s single over shortstop added two more runs to the scoreboard. With two outs, Bonstrom hit a grand slam to extend its lead to 9-2.

The Tigers came back in the bottom of the seventh. Molly Bourne hit a two-run homer with one out, and Pacific got two more runners on base. With two outs, Rachel Sellers homered to left field to narrow Stanford’s lead to 9-7. Nevertheless, the Cardinal held on. Santos grounded out to Sorenson, and the game was over.

Stanford will travel to Seattle to play Washington at 5 p.m. on Thursday. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.

Contact Elizabeth Trinh at entrinh ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Elizabeth Trinh ‘18, who is currently a sophomore sports Desk Editor at The Stanford Daily, works Monday nights with her other half, (formerly Alexa Philippou) Amanda McLean. Hailing from a small town in the Peach State, she enjoys the thrill of writing, but she won't be writing too much this year because she has dedicated her time to other ventures. Although she is currently undecided as to her major, Elizabeth plans on loafing around for the longest time as possible. To contact Elizabeth, please email her at entrinh 'at' stanford.edu.