SUDPS warns of recently-circulated email scams

The FBI recently issued a national warning regarding email scams that target students, among others. The fraudulent emails offer jobs at fictitious companies and ask for the recipient’s bank account information.

In the same warning, the FBI also described a second scam targeting University staff. Fraudulent emails, posing as updates from Human Resources departments, are sent to staff and ask for the recipient’s employee credentials.

In a message emailed to the Stanford community, the Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) warned, “To avoid becoming a victim, NEVER send money or provide personal or financial information to anyone who requests such information through an email or other solicitation, no matter how good or credible the offer sounds!”

According to William Larson, public information officer for SUDPS, no member of the Stanford community has reported a successful incident of the scams. However, the SUDPS has received reports of scam attempts.

Larson reiterated the FBI warning.

“The basic rule of thumb is to never provide personal information (e.g. social security number, etc.) to anyone who contacts you by phone or email. If [there is] any question or doubt, you should call your local law enforcement agency,” Larson wrote in the email.

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.