Trustees approve development of Stanford in Redwood City campus

During a meeting last month, the Stanford University Board of Trustees gave preliminary approval for the first phase of an administrative campus in Redwood City, located seven miles from Stanford’s campus just off Highway 101.

The project will include resources for more than 2,000 Stanford employees, such as office buildings, cafes, a fitness/recreation facility, parking facilities, space for conferences and a child care center for Stanford families.

The trustees’ proposal represents the first phase of construction under the Stanford in Redwood City Precise Plan, the first significant expansion outside its main campus. Under this 30-year developmental plan for the 35-acre site, the University may develop up to 1.5 million square feet.

The first phase of the project will develop 21 of the 35 acres on site. Office space will take up about 560,000 of the total 650,000 square feet. The campus was planned with the desire for the site to have a campus feel, complete with landscapes, courtyards, gateways and public spaces. The University plans to incorporate urban, open space and maintain a commitment to sustainability while developing the site.

The Redwood City City Council approved the Precise Plan, as well as the environmental impact report and development agreement in September 2013.

The University had initially purchased the property in Redwood City in February 2005 and according to Steven A. Denning, chair of the Board of Trustees, Stanford made an astute move when buying the land nearly 10 years ago.

“When we bought the property, Silicon Valley was going through one of its corrective phases and real estate prices were much lower than today,” he said, to the Stanford News Service.

The site is intended to become the new home for approximately 2,200 personnel from the Stanford Research Park and from various departments located on the main campus such as Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE), Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) and University Human Resources.

By relocating administrative staff, Stanford would be able to preserve the main campus for the University’s academic priorities and needs. Additionally, the move would ultimately free space in the Research Park, which will be leased as a source of funds for the University.

The location already houses Stanford Health Care outpatient clinics as well as Stanford Libraries Services, HighWire, an ePublishing platform affiliated with Stanford, and Stanford University Press. The University is also leasing space to several companies at the moment.

Construction is planned to begin in 2016 and the first move-ins are projected for late 2019.

Other planned programs includes starting a commute program in which the University would provide a shuttle bus open to the public that will travel to the Redwood site, main campus and the Caltrain station.

Kylie Jue also contributed to this report.

Contact Catherine Zaw at czaw13 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Catherine Zaw was formerly the Managing Editor of News for Vol. 245 and Vol. 246. To contact her, please email [email protected].