The five best Arts & Life theater stories of 2014

As the new year kicks off, Arts & Life takes a look at our five best theater stories of 2014.

“Goliath” makes a historic return to the Farm by Katie Straub

“Goliath” began as an original Winter One Act on campus in 2007, and it came back with a special one-night-only engagement in 2014. A biting and still-relevant critique of American culture (particularly on war and hyper-masculinity), the show impressed The Daily, as well as audiences at a national level, with its relatable characters and relentless, kinetic storytelling. We were thrilled to see such engaging student work succeed in New York and beyond, finally returning to its roots at Stanford in January.

Daniel Radcliffe (Billy), Photo by Johan Persson.

Spotlight on NYC Theater: a great revival of “The Cripple of Inishmaan” starring Daniel Radcliffe by Managing Editor Alexandra Heeney

In her spotlight series from the other coast of the country, Managing Editor Alexandra Heeney depicts the town of Inishmaan so clearly that we see it just from reading her words. She lauds the impeccable comedic timing in the piece and the strength of the ensemble, while also delving into some of the bigger questions the play itself presents to the audience. We’re drawn into the story of Billy and the other characters in his Irish town, feeling as though we’ve met them without even seeing the play.

Spotlight on playwright and director Amy Freed by Deputy Desk Editor Steve Rathje
A Pulitzer Prize finalist, artist-in-residence Amy Freed is a Stanford theater gem. Here, The Daily talked with Freed about the state of theater today, her advice for young theater practitioners and her upcoming directing project. She inspires students to create theater and “dare to be authentic” while simultaneously speaking eloquent insights on the best ways to keep creating art in a society that doesn’t always support it.

Andrii Bondarenko in "Kurios."
Andrii Bondarenko in “Kurios.”

Cirque du Soleil’s “Kurios” dazzles in San Francisco by Theater Desk Editor Noemi Berkowitz

This piece, which attempts to describe the thrilling and indescribable performance of “Kurios,” introduces us to specific, delightful acts within the greater Cirque spectacle. The Daily explores a magic deeper than the mind-blowing contortions and spinning bodies one in which an audience is taken on an awe-inspiring journey together. We offer a taste of the show’s wonders and invite the readers to experience it themselves.

Female directors on the rise in Stanford theater scene by Deputy Desk Editor Ian Anstee

The Daily noticed an exciting trend last fall quarter seven of the nine undergraduate productions were directed by women. We examined the disparity between this figure and current statistics regarding the dearth of female directors on Broadway, explored possible reasons for this difference, and talked to some of Stanford’s own directors about their experiences on campus. The piece celebrates Stanford’s theater culture and the many exciting productions it has fostered.

Contact the Arts & Life Editors at arts ‘at’ stanforddaily.com