Stanford restricts travel to West Africa over break due to Ebola concerns

At 6:57 p.m. on Nov. 19, the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs sent out an email outlining Stanford’s travel policies over Thanksgiving and winter breaks, intended to minimize the risk of exposure to Ebola. The email states that Stanford-related travel to Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone by any community member is currently prohibited, and other countries such as Mali may be subject to similar restrictions soon, citing strained public health infrastructures in these countries. The email also cautioned community members against travel in general to West Africa.

Any student returning from Liberia, Guinea, or Sierra Leone will be required to remain off-campus for a period of 21 days and contact Vaden Health Center for an evaluation. Mali and certain West African countries may become subject to the policy. Students whose travel plans may be affected by the restrictions are encouraged to contact their respective Residential Education Residence Dean (RD) to obtain temporary housing accommodations over winter break.

For further information on Stanford’s Ebola-related policies, the email encouraged students to visit https://ebola.stanford.edu.

Contact Sam Premutico at samprem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sam Premutico ’18 is a staff writer covering University and local news. A freshman from Brooklyn, New York, Sam has a wide range of academic interests, including biology and philosophy. When not in class or writing for The Daily, Sam enjoys solving crossword puzzles and playing for the Stanford Men’s Squash team. To contact Sam, email him at samprem ‘at’ stanford.edu.