Stanford physician quarantined upon return from treating Ebola in Liberia

Stanford clinical assistant professor of surgery Colin Bucks entered modified quarantine on Wednesday, after having treated Ebola patients in Liberia.

Bucks returned to San Mateo County on Oct. 27 and entered quarantine on Oct. 29. According to a press release from Stanford Health Care, state and county health personnel will monitor Bucks for 21 days, during which he will not return to work.

Bucks was isolated at home after the California Department of Public Health ordered a 21-day quarantine for people coming to California who have been in contact with a confirmed Ebola case.

According to California state health officer Ron Chapman, the circumstances of the quarantine will be applied on a case-by-case basis. ABC 7 News reports that, under Bucks’ quarantine, he will be required to stay in isolation, with the exemption of jogs by himself.

“I’m California’s most experienced Ebola physician. I won’t take a single chance,” Bucks said in a New York Times interview. “My wife is away, my dog is away — there’s no downside to a little personal convenience, three weeks will pass.”

Contact Sam Reamer at sreamer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sam Reamer '18 is a staff writer covering University and local news. He is from Santa Monica, California. To contact Sam, email him at sreamer ‘at’ stanford.edu.