Professor Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar nominated for California Supreme Court

July 24, 2014, 11:49 p.m.
(Courtesy of Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies/Stanford News)

On Tuesday, Gov. Edmund G. Brown Jr. nominated Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar Ph.D. ’00 as associate justice of the California Supreme Court.

Cuéllar must be confirmed by the State Bar’s Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation before his name can appear on the Nov. 4 ballot for voter approval.

A Stanford Law School professor since 2001, Cuéllar has taught administrative law, criminal law, international law, executive power and legislation. He is also a professor of political science and director of Stanford’s Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies.

“Tino Cuéllar is a renowned scholar who has served two presidents and made significant contributions to both political science and the law,” Gov. Brown said in a news release. “His vast knowledge and even temperament will — without question — add further luster to our highest court.”

A former law clerk at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Cuéllar also served under the Clinton and Obama administrations and focused on criminal justice, public health, immigration and food safety.

Cuéllar will take his position after the Honorable Marvin R. Baxter retires on Jan. 4, 2015.

Cuéllar earned a bachelor’s degree from Harvard College, a J.D. from Yale Law School and a Ph.D. in political science from Stanford. He is married to U.S. District Judge Lucy H. Koh of the Northern District of California.

Born in Mexico, Cuéllar walked for years across the border each day to attend school in Texas. At age 14, his family moved to California.

“I am enormously honored by Gov. Brown’s nomination, and if confirmed, I look forward to serving the people of California on our state’s highest court,” Cuéllar said, in the Office of the Governor’s announcement.

Katherine Carr is a reporter for The Stanford Daily with a passion for science and public health. She comes to Stanford from Irvine, Calif., where she worked as a freelance writer for the Orange County Register. Carr is a prospective chemistry major and likes to write about science, politics and fashion. To contact her, please email kcarr2 'at' stanford.edu or follow her on Twitter @KatAnneCarr.