Review of selections from the San Francisco International South Asian Film Festival

There is more to Indian films than Bollywood drama and dance numbers, as evidenced by the 11th Annual San Francisco International South Asian Film Festival. A medley of documentaries, independent films and art films will be showcased both in San Francisco and locally in Palo Alto. Four films — three documentaries and one drama — will play in Palo Alto on Nov. 16 at the Aquarius Theatre. Arts & Life presents capsule reviews of three of them.

A still image from "Gulabi Gang," a film premiering at the 11th Annual San Francisco South Asian Film Festival. (Courtesy of The San Francisco South Asian Film Festival)
A still image from “Gulabi Gang,” a film showing at the 11th Annual San Francisco South Asian Film Festival. (Courtesy of the San Francisco South Asian Film Festival)

“Gulabi Gang”

The documentary “Gulabi Gang,” directed by Nishtha Jain, follows a group of Indian women, the self-named Gulabi Gang, who fight against social injustice, particularly the oppression of women, in rural India. The documentary explores extreme violence against women, political corruption and poverty in order to increase awareness of the issues faced by the community and convey a strong message of empowerment.

“Without Shepherds”

This documentary provides a snapshot into the political and social world of Pakistan through the lives of a cricketer-turned-politician, a journalist, a supermodel, a truck driver, a musician and a former Taliban soldier. Though this film provides a new insight into the intricate social balance of Pakistan and the various lifestyles of its citizens, it is overly ambitious: The six stories have little in common with each other besides the common backdrop of Pakistan, which makes it difficult to jump from one to the other in each scene. Those with a keen interest in the political scene of Pakistan will enjoy this film, but it will not leave a strong impression on the casual viewer.

“Beyond Boundaries”

My personal favorite of the three documentaries, “Beyond Boundaries” weaves together four stories about a central aspect of South Asian culture: the game of cricket. The film, directed by Sushrut Jain, truly captures the way cricket unites South Asians from all walks of life. From a young cricket prodigy to a disadvantaged teenage girl, and from the Indian national team to its biggest fan, this sport is an integral part of daily life.

The film festival is showing in Palo Alto on Nov. 16 at Aquarius Theater. Tickets are $10 online at thirdi.org and $12 at the door.