Oliver named Pac-12 defensive player of the week

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott announced Monday that Stanford senior goalkeeper and two-time All-Pac-12 first teamer Emily Oliver had been named the Pac-12 defensive player of the week after a successful opening weekend for the No. 2 Cardinal on the East Coast.

(JIM SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Stanford goalkeeper Emily Oliver made 10 saves over the weekend to help the Cardinal win its first two matches of the season. (JIM SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

At Boston College on Friday, Oliver held the Eagles to just one goal through regulation and two overtimes by making nine saves on often-tough shots to maintain the tie after the teams traded two quick goals in the first 12 minutes of the match. Oliver’s strong efforts were rewarded in the second overtime period when junior Alex Doll won the game for the Cardinal with a 118th-minute goal.

Just two days later at UConn, Oliver notched her 27th career shutout by keeping the Huskies off of the board while facing 17 shots. Her solid goalkeeping was part of a strong team effort that gave the Cardinal a 1-0 victory in Hartford to start the season with two straight victories.

Oliver and the Cardinal will return home to The Farm for the first of five straight matches at home on Saturday night against Portland.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is now the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily. He's also a Bay Area-based freelance sportswriter. He previously covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season. He covered the 2016 Minnesota Twins for MLB.com and has also contributed to The Bootleg and SI's (now defunct) Campus Rush. Hire him at dpark0027 'at' gmail.com or send him snarky Tweets @dohyoungpark.