Stanford and Syracuse make ‘blockbuster swap’

On Monday, the official Twitter account of Stanford Athletics assumed the new handle “@GoStanford” after relinquishing its former Twitter handle, “@SUAthletics,” to Syracuse University as part of a light-hearted “trade.”

New of the trade quickly spread throughout the college sports world after a particularly tongue-in-cheek press release from Stanford Athletics. According to the release, Stanford would receive “a collection of local goods to be named later” and a case of oranges (a joking reference to the Syracuse Orange) to be used for refilling its 2011 Orange Bowl trophy in return.

The humor in the release, which referred to the trade as “the first blockbuster trade in college athletics,” caught the attention of several news outlets around the nation that played along as a humorous way to keep college football in the news during the offseason. FoxSports referred to it as a “blockbuster swap” and Sports Illustrated dubbed it “an unprecedented trade” involving “a number of high-profile and ultra-important considerations.”

Even Stanford Athletic Director Bernard Muir took the opportunity to have a little fun as he wished @SUAthletics “good luck in a new home” and paved the way for @GoStanford to become the new “starter” for the Cardinal.

A later tweet from Syracuse Athletics, however, stated that the Orange would retain its former handle, “@Cuse,” after the trade, meaning that the net result of the trade was simply an entertaining rebranding for Stanford Athletics.

“GoStanford” will still retain its former use as a hashtag for tweets involving Stanford Athletics in addition to its new role as a Twitter handle, making it Stanford’s newest “two-sport star.”

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is now the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily. He's also a Bay Area-based freelance sportswriter. He previously covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season. He covered the 2016 Minnesota Twins for MLB.com and has also contributed to The Bootleg and SI's (now defunct) Campus Rush. Hire him at dpark0027 'at' gmail.com or send him snarky Tweets @dohyoungpark.