Football game times set; 14 players named to preseason All-Pac-12 team by Phil Steele

Stanford football announced the times for two of its 2013 home games on Wednesday—the home opener against San Jose State and its marquee matchup with fellow-Pac-12 North-favorite Oregon.

The Cardinal and Spartans will meet at 8 p.m. on Sept. 7 in a game that will be televised by the Pac-12 Networks, while Stanford’s Thursday-night contest against the Ducks on Nov. 7 will start at 6 p.m. That game, which is likely to have Pac-12- and National Championship- implications, will be broadcast on ESPN.

(SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)
Safety Ed Reynolds (above) is projected to earn first-team recognition according to Phil Steele’s preseason All-Pac 12 list. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford also had 14 of its football players named to Phil Steele’s preseason All-Pac-12 teams on Wednesday. Its dominant defense, which ranked first in the country in sacks (4.07 per game), second in tackles for loss (8.86) and fifth in rushing defense (97), had five first-team honorees: safeties Jordan Richard and Ed Reynolds, linebackers Trent Murphy and Shayne Skov and defensive end Ben Gardner. Lineman Henry Anderson and corner Alex Carter made the second team, while linebacker A.J. Tarpley was named to the third team.

Three Cardinal offensive linemen, seniors David Yankey (first team), Cameron Fleming (first team) and Kevin Danser (second team), were also recognized, while junior quarterback Kevin Hogan earned third-team accolades. Playmakers Anthony Wilkerson and Ty Montgomery were named to the fourth team.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.