W. Swimming and Diving: Greg Meehan named Stanford women’s head coach

Aug. 29, 2012, 12:05 a.m.

Former Cal men’s swimming and diving associate head coach Greg Meehan will take the helm of the Stanford women’s swimming and diving program, officially announced by Stanford athletic director Bernard Muir on Monday.

Working under head coach David Durden, Meehan played a major role in helping the Cal men’s team secure back-to-back NCAA titles in last two years.

Before coaching the Golden Bears, he also served as the head coach of both the Pacific men’s and women’s teams for three years. Meehan guided the women’s program to a second-place finish in the Big West Conference in the 2006-2007 season along with a pair of fourth-place finishes. The men’s team wound up with three fourth-place finishes at the conference championships. Under Meehan, the Tigers broke 13 schools records as well as three conference marks.

Beyond the collegiate scene, Meehan was the manager of the U.S. team at the 2007 World University Games.

Meehan is replacing former head coach Lea Maurer, who stepped down in early July to devote more time to her family.

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].