Letter from the Editor

Dear Readers,

I would like to clarify and comment on our recent and continuing coverage of the arrest of Fadi Quran ’10 in Hebron, West Bank. This story was a significant undertaking for The Daily and an important piece of breaking news for our community.

A few questions have surfaced about news desk editor Kristian Davis Bailey’s ability to fairly cover Quran’s arrest.

Kristian signed a divestment petition circulated by Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) this year. He is not a member of this group. The petition calls for Stanford to divest from “companies whose direct violations of international law have an injurious impact on Palestinians.”

Kristian did not report his signature to a Daily editor because he viewed the issues of divestment and Quran’s arrest separately.

I stand by Kristian’s coverage as fair and accurate. The Daily should have disclosed his signature on the SPER petition. An annotation disclosing Kristian’s signature on the SPER petition has been appended to his articles online.

Sincerely,

Margaret Rawson

President and Editor in Chief, Vol. CCXLI

• Is his also being a signatory to the Free Quran group “viewed separately” from this issue.   There is no way he can provide unbiased coverage.  The Daily has really sunken low.

• Guest

Absurd.  He reported the facts on the ground.  Facts have no bias.

Zionists need to learn this. 

• Mark Richey

Journalists are people with their own opinions.  It’s beyond hypocritical to criticize Bailey when the vast majority of coverage in the US media, starting with Isabel Kershner in the NYTimes, is fulsomely and smugly not only pro-Israeli, but a virtual outlet for zionist propaganda.

• Guest

Kristian’s reporting has been the first significant news that people outside of Stanford would be interested in in a while.  He deserves nothing but praise for his stories.

• Tianay

If the petition Kristian signed had, say, been one against police brutality or one that condemned violent/forceful coercion by governments and other order enforcing agencies (especially as a tatcical response to non violent civil disobedience) would this have been seen as contamination of Kristian’s ability to report fairly? I think not.

• Mark Richey

Most people I’ve spoken with say this is the most incisive and relevant coverage the Stanford Daily has provided in their memories.

• Anon

It’s one thing to insist that such a clearly compromised reporter add a conflict-of-interest disclosure at the end of his news articles for the Daily. It’s quite another to claim that his reports are “fair and accurate”. Only the most extreme left- and right-wing pundits would claim the Arab-Israeli conflict is not complex. And yet, Kristian’s coverage thus far has been an avalanche of nostalgic demagoguery for Fadi, peppered with links that lay out the case in unquestioning support for Fadi’s canonization as a saint. His coverage of conflict itself is a one-dimensional tunnel-view that would have us believe that the decades of wars waged against Israel’s civilians never happened. That the Oslo agreements sanctioning Israel’s presence in Hebron for the time being were never signed by the accredited representatives of the Palestinians. That the several comprehensive peace offers that would have ended this presence permanently (and yet, were rejected), never took place.

_None_ of this is surprising. It’s what a conflicts-of-interest are supposed to do.

Shame on Kristian for this wholesale perversion of journalistic ethics, and shame on the Daily for kowtowing in perfect submission to it.

• Anne Silver

I applaud the excellent coverage the Daily has provided of an issue of obvious importance to the Stanford community and crucial international relevance. Fadi, an alum and part of our Stanford community, is but one of many non-violent Palestinians who are arrested  or detained (often without charges and for months and years by the use of “administrative detention”)  by Israel, which occupies and controls the West Bank and has done so for 45 years.  I am the mother of  Stanford alum and Fadi’s college mate, Charlotte Silver, ’09 (who is currently working as journalist in Occupied Palestine). I am very pleased to see these reports in the  campus paper. Keep them coming.

• Noelsanborn

Numerous New York Times and other American journalists have had children or other close relatives serve in the Israeli army.  Wolf Blitzer of CNN worked for AIPAC for five years and then moved to Israel to work for the right wing Jerusalem Post.  Let’s stay real about bias in covering this conflict!

• Dan

When an Israeli diplomat  was killed in France in the run up to the first Israeli-Lebanon war in 1982, I notified the Stanford Daily that he had completed graduate studies at Stanford and there was a Stanford connection.  The murder of  the diplomat in France by the PLO, a major precedent of a major international event, was greeted with a yawn by the Daily.  Could it be that the reason is that the victim was a Jewish Israeli?

• You sound like Pravda during the Soviet era, or like something very Orwellian. 

• Get real Mark. You aren’t affiliated with Stanford.  You’re a professional anti-Israel internet “activist” who spams message boards with your drivel.  

• Roxana

I applaud Kristian Davis Bailey, Margaret Rawson, and the entire Daily team for their up-to-the-minute reporting on this issue the past few days. They have been actively engaging with the communities most affected by Fadi’s arrest and have stayed true to the facts.

• Stanford Grad ’11

And where is your name, holy critic?

• Stanford11

it could be because the editorial staff in 1982 was very different from the current one (which was born 8-10 years after this incident you speak of)

• Stanford11

no need to apologize, daily. im sure the sia will publish an op-ed any day now. thank you for your coverage!