Roxy Sass: Sex up your winter quarter

Stanford students often complain about winter quarter because it corresponds with the start of California’s rainy season, ending months of virtual drought. Roxy hates biking in the rain as much as the next girl, but she never thinks it’s a bad thing to get a little wet. Here are some of Roxy’s techniques for ending your own dry spell this winter quarter.

Roxy understands that with colder weather there’s a need for more clothing. But when temperatures go down, Roxy does too. Nothing like a little good, old-fashioned friction to stay warm. “My space heater’s broken, want to come over and heat me up?”

One of Roxy’s favorite Stanford traditions comes mid-January–Ski Trip. With 30-50 people jammed into one small house, it’s inevitable that things will get hot and heavy despite the cold. This year, with little to no snowfall expected, you’ll have to find other ways to entertain yourself before the cabin fever sets in. Roxy suggests you put the few available beds to good use…And if all the beds are taken, there’s always a hot tub. What happens in Tahoe stays in Tahoe, right?

Another exciting feature of winter quarter? Men’s basketball. Roxy has never identified as a jersey chaser (why limit yourself to jerseys when there are also polos, startup tees and bro tanks out there for the taking?), but there’s something about tall men in shorts that gets her going. With the adrenaline running high as the Card rack up points in Maples, there are plenty of opportunities for the audience to score themselves. “I’ve been known to go into quadruple overtime myself. Care to scrimmage?”

For those of you too busy to go to a basketball game, don’t give up hope. Winter quarter may be the time to load up on classes (“who needs to go outside anyway?”), but everyone needs to relax eventually. And Roxy knows of a particularly effective way to de-stress…Relationships may be a five-unit class, but casual hookups are one-unit credit/no credit seminars: minimal effort and you may actually learn something. If you’re out of your mind with 20-plus units, invite that special someone over for a “study break” or to “watch a movie.” We all know that’s college-student for “wanna bone?”

And when the gray skies and p-sets make you want to curl up in bed under your covers and never come out, just make sure you’ve got company.