Both fencing teams finish in top three in season opener

At Sunday’s Western Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colo., the Stanford women’s fencing team placed second and the men’s team placed third.

The tournament used a best-of-six-match format, and the Cardinal teams went 5-1 and 4-2, respectively.

On the women’s side, all five wins were fairly comfortable, as Stanford won the first five best-of-27 matches by at least nine-point margins. However, in the title match, the Cardinal ran into a buzz saw in Northwestern, with the Wildcats winning 25-2 to take the title.

The men had the closest match of the tournament, barely edging out UC-San Diego 14-13 after three blowout wins. Stanford lost twice, though: once to host Air Force and once to eventual champion Notre Dame.

Freshmen led the way for both teams, as Cameron Lindsay went 14-4 and Jonathan Lee went 13-5 on the men’s side, while Katya Savitsky was 11-4, Julia Klepner was 12-5 and Lily McElwee was 14-3.

Stanford does not compete again until the Midwestern Invitational on Feb. 4.

– Jacob Jaffe

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.