Stanford scores high in NCAA’s annual Graduation Success Rate

The NCAA released its annual Graduation Success Rate report on Tuesday, and only three Football Bowl Subdivision programs (formerly NCAA Div. I) scored higher than Stanford’s .653 (17-26) rating– and none of the Cardinal’s 26 teams had graduation rates lower than 80 percent.

Not to be confused with the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate–which comes out annually in May–the GSR was created in 2005 to better assess the academic success of student-athletes. It is calculated and reported individually for each NCAA-sponsored sport.

Nine men’s programs received perfect scores, including baseball, fencing, golf, gymnastics, tennis, track, volleyball and water polo. And eight women’s teams–rowing, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, swimming and diving, softball, soccer and synchronized swimming–also had perfect ratings.

All in all, 22 Stanford programs recorded scores at or above 90, with the women’s basketball program earning a 93 that was the third-highest score in the country. The football program received a GSR of 87, the top mark in the Pac-12 and the seventh-best score among FBS institutions.

The Cardinal also led all FBS schools with 11 total perfect scores in the federal graduation rate analysis, which does not account for students who leave an institution while academically eligible or midyear enrollees. Only the Federal Graduation Rates are calculated for both the student population at large as well as the student-athlete population.

Both the measurements are based upon classes from 2001-04 and show the percentage of student-athletes earning a degree within six years. Stanford student-athletes have a Federal Graduation four-class average of 95 percent.

Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.