Three School of Med professors elected to Institute of Medicine

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) announced 65 new members last Monday, including three faculty members from the School of Medicine: Margaret Fuller, professor of genetics, David Relman, professor of microbiology and immunology and Abraham Verghese, professor of medicine.

According to the School of Medicine announcement, being elected as a member of the organization is “one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine.” With the new additions, IOM has a total of 1,688 active members.

Existing members elect new members based on criteria that include personal contributions to the medical and health fields as well as commitment to public service.

All of the newly-elected members from Stanford are pursuing different projects. Fuller is studying the mechanisms that regulate adult stem cells, Relman is focused on investigating the changes in microbial communities over time and space, and Verghese is exploring patient-physician relationships and has written several books and articles on the subject. His latest book, “Cutting for Stone,” has been on the New York Times bestseller list for 83 weeks.

IOM, which was established in 1970 as a branch of the National Academy of Sciences, is both an advisory and honorary organization. The elected members make a commitment to participate in IOM boards, committees and activities.

“Each of these new members stands out as a professional whose research, knowledge and skills have significantly advanced health and medicine, and their achievements are an inspiration,” said IOM President Harvey V. Fineberg in a statement on the IOM website. “The Institute of Medicine is greatly enriched by the addition of our newly elected colleagues.”

— Kurt Chirbas