Party on the Edge seeks glory

The Party on the Edge, an annual bash sponsored by the Cantor Arts Center to show off the art scene at Stanford, will happen this year on Oct. 6. The party starts at 9 p.m. and will last until midnight.

The arts-filled event will feature performances from campus-favorite a capella groups like Talisman and Everyday People, as well as appearances by the Cardinal Ballet Company, Kuumba African Dance and Drum Ensemble and Alliance Streetdance.

In addition to the live performances, student-made films will be shown, as well as artwork from Stanford’s Arts Grant program, which provides funding to Stanford students to help them create innovative work. In addition, The Wall exhibition can be seen in the Cool Café as part of Stanford’s Your Art Here program, which shows student-run gallery spaces around the Stanford campus.

Students can explore the inside of the museum and see the twenty-four art galleries Cantor has available and also wander outside to find more art and performances. There will be plenty of free food.

In addition to the various performances and exhibitions, this year’s Party on the Edge represents a new campus initiative, in conjunction with groups such as the Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU), to bring together artistic groups across campus into a more cohesive art scene.

“This sort of collaboration is exactly what Stanford needs,” said Paul Ferrell, ASSU Director of Arts. “There are so many arts groups on campus but there isn’t a cohesive arts scene. We plan to bring these groups together for everything from performances to social events and meetings with arts faculty.”

The initiative will kick off at 10:30 p.m. in the Cafe at Cantor, bringing together presidents of student art organizations to meet with professors, administrations, Stanford Institute for Creativity and the Arts (SiCa) leaders and leaders of the Stanford Art Initiative. The kick-off is a design-thinking session to help re-imagine the arts scene at Stanford.

Throughout the evening, post-it notes will be available for students to sketch their ideas and post them on specific walls around the courtyard as a concentrated feedback activity. These ideas will be incorporated into the design-thinking section.

To attend the party, students can head to Cantor via bike or on foot or take the midnight Marguerite shuttle, which stops at Cantor every half-hour.

This article has been revised to reflect the following corrections:

Party on the Edge is sponsored by the Cantor Arts Center, not SiCa; the initiative will begin at 10:30 p.m., not 11 p.m.; post-its will be stuck only to specific areas in the courtyard and the art initiative is a collaboration between several groups, not, as was formerly implied, solely the ASSU.