‘Welcome Home Fest’ delivers sober fun

Last night, thousands of Stanford students enjoyed the “Welcome Home Fest,” which drew students to many programs across campus.

The first event was an 8 p.m. concert in Memorial Auditorium by The Cataracs, preceded by an opening set from Stanford-favorite Sex Ray Vision (Ravi Parikh and Brian Yoo ‘11). The duo took the stage for the first hour of the show, hyping the crowd up for the main attraction.

The Cataracs, a Bay Area DJ duo, have produced radio hits including “Backseat” and “Bass Down Low.” The pair took the stage in front of a full house, performing their old work as well as giving students previews of their soon-to-be-released work.

The duo abruptly left the stage after 40 minutes, only to be called back by the chanting crowd to perform “Like a G6” (they produced it for Far East Movement), closing out the night.

Arjun Aggarwal ’13 was a key event coordinator and thought the concert was a hit with students.

“We just wanted people to show up and have a good time…I don’t think it could have gone any better,” Aggarwal said. Plenty of students in the crowd agreed.

“I thought The Cataracs were off the hook,” said Daniel Becerra ’15. “It was an awesome concert…I had a great time.”

Following the show, students chose from several programs, including a comedy show featuring the Stanford Robber Barons and SImps as well as a FLiCKS doubleheader in the Old Union Courtyard.

Though the events were put on the New Student Orientation (NSO) calendar, they were open to all Stanford students and many upperclassmen found something to enjoy.

Some looked for a more relaxed atmosphere, like Lorena Rincon-Cruz ’14, who stopped by the Ceramics Raku Firing in White Plaza.

“I was impressed at the number of options there were on the schedule compared to last year,” Rincon-Cruz said. “It seemed like there was something for everyone to do.”

Other students, however, looked for a party atmosphere at Tresidder Union, where the traditional NSO BROC Party, sponsored by the Black Recruitment and Orientation Committee, took place.

“[The party] was great,” said Community Coordinator Tayo Amos ’14, who helped organize the party. “We had a full house, and it was definitely a good start to the year.”

In all, students considered the “Welcome Home Fest,” which organizer Stephen Trusheim ’13 called a “test run” of a new Stanford initiative to bring more alcohol-free programming to campus, a success.

“I thought it was a great night…I hope we have more options like these in the future,” Rincon-Cruz said.